Bald Cypress - cause damage from roots?

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I planted a bald cypress near my house a few years ago. I didn't think about it at the time, but now I'm wondering about how big the roots will get and how far out they'll travel. The tree is planted about 13' from my house/foundation. The part that makes me wonder the most is that it is also about 10' from a concrete retaining wall that's for my walk-out basement. I worry the roots will get large and begin pushing the retaining wall over. Has anyone had any trouble with bald cypress roots? This tree seems to be growing like a weed even in northern zone 6 where I am, in somewhat heavy clay. I'm a little worried now that it might get really big and cause problems. I hate to cut it down because it's a very pretty tree...but they're cheap enough that I could replace it if I need to. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by hczone6
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

You shouldn't have any problems from this tree. Almost ALL tree roots can travel a distance of up to 3 times the height of the tree.

The tree *could* produce its famous "knees" if it was planted in a moist/wet spot, but it appears to be high and dry where it is. It will grow just fine there, too. Even if the tree did produce "knees" I think the structure(s) around the tree would be fine.

Now if you had planted a silver maple (Acer saccharinum) in that spot, I would be worried.
Mike

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Well...as much as I HATE to kill a thriving tree like this...I think I'm going to cut it down. It's too big and too much trouble to move. It'll get too tall in this location. It's possible to move it...don't get me wrong, but I don't have the will to move it because it's going to require a LOT of work to get enough soil around the roots for it to be worth moving. I'll just buy a new tree if I need another bald cypress...and I know just where to get one :)

Maybe I'll throw another japanese maple in this location...or maybe a dogwood...or maybe...hmmm :)

By the way, the county extension center (state university botany folks) said it wouldn't push out the wall, but they all agreed it would get too big in this location. Too big, as in you just might not want to fool with the foliage in the gutters, worry about it falling on the house, etc.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2004 6:43 AM

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Dogwood all the way!

I'm getting three in a few weeks for this location :D :D

Thumbnail by Osteole
Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

They should work well there. Dogwoods are pretty much an understory tree...so they do well with dappled or light shade. People try to stick them in the blazing sun and wonder why they never look good. Sometimes it works out ok...but I've seen way too many that look like they're really struggling. Seeing them in their natural environment in the smoky mountains really opened my eyes to where they like to be.
Same with rhododendrums.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.