Canna Seed Harvesting? I need a lesson!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I have a few cannas and would love to get seeds from them. I understand that Tropicana doesn't set seeds. I have Canna Australia and I'm hoping that it does. Does anyone know? And please give me a quick lesson on what to look for. I think they will be in the fuzzy looking ball under the spent blooms....is that right? How do I know when they are ready? How big will the seeds be? I'm assuming I let them dry like I would MG's?

Canna Australia

Thumbnail by Brinda
Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

'Australia' is sterile, also.
Sorry )o:

Seeds will be hard, round, and black or brown .. and will develop inside those fuzzy balls on fertile cannas.
Alice

Premont, TX(Zone 9b)

You will be able to tell when they are ready when the skin on the fuzzy balls turns tan and looks dry and starts to split you will see the black/brown pea size seeds inside..this ofcourse will happen only on fertile cannas like Alice says..
The seeds will be real hard if you are planting them file or nick them frist than soak them for 24 hours before planting.
Cannas started from seeds will bloom thier first season.
Elva

This message was edited Jul 18, 2004 5:18 PM

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Thanks to both of you!!! I guess I won't be seeing any seeds this year since I have Tropicana and Australia! LOL Is there a list of sterile cannas anywhere?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is a post to see for other canna. :) http://davesgarden.com/t/444528/

Premont, TX(Zone 9b)

I have over 150 different cannas I would be gald to send you some seeds.let me know if you want some.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.