Microwave Canning Method

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's a real heretical canning method I came up with 3 years ago when a friend gave me a recipe for a small batch of refridgerator bread and butter pickles. It only works for acid products like pickles.

Prepare whatever you're going to pickle according to the recipe.

Make up your pickling brine and heat it slowly on the stove. In the case of bread and butter pickles, I heat the liquid just until the sugar dissolves.

Pack the veggies into sterilized jars and cover with the liquid leaving a little more head space than normal.

Microwave on high until the first bubbles appear. In my microwave, thats about 90 seconds for pints. This you'll have to experiment with.

When those bubbles appear, snatch the jar out quick and slap on a sterile lid and cinch it down tight with the band.

I promise, I haven't lost a seal yet and nobody has died from eating my pickles.

This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!