Post Your Adenium Pictures!

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

My Adenium is just starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Here are my Adenium seedlings:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

One of mine is throwing buds right now. I sure hope it will be pretty. Sure doesn't have the leaves like yours does. How old is your plant?

Hi Shirley! I'm not sure how old mine is. It was my first Adenium purchase at Home Depot for $10 two years ago. I imagine it must be at least four years old by now? I'm sure yours will be lovely. I don't think I've ever seen an ugly one of these:-)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Clare. Mine just doesn't have a lot of leaves yet. I want it to look like yours. LOL! Fat chance. Maybe a couple of years down the road.

Maybe sooner than that! Now that warm weather is here, I be yours will put on lots of new leaves. I give mine plenty of water in the summertime. It is in excellent draining soil -- cactus soil, I think -- so I know it won't experience any root rot, especially not with the 90-degree weather we're having. Don't be afraid to give yours lots to drink now that summer is here.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

How about fertilizer? Bloom booster or regular type? How often? Boy, don't get me started, I can ask lots of questions.
LOL!

Shirley, ask away. Yes, I feed my big one once it starts to wake up in the spring. I think I did use Miracle Grow Bloombooster once or twice. Otherwise, I just fertilize it with regular Miracle Grow fertilizer when I fertilize everything else about once a month or when I remember. I've fertilized the seedlings once or twice also and mist them with Superthrive also.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Okay Clare...question time over for now. I have to wait for blooms now to see which two I have that made it. Thanks for the info.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is my lates acquisition. It came in with our last Thai shipmnt as a display. Looks rough now, but has a gorgeous caudex.

Thumbnail by BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

As you can se, everything is soaked. I had to move them all out of the weather. Since Friday morning, we've had no rain for about 3 hours.

This is my only one in bloom right now.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a 3 kings. It's bloomed a couple of times this year

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

And my rescue. This was on that had rotted at the graft and like a lot of people that participated in that co-op, I'd thought of dumping it. Instead I cut away all the rot, and it's thanking me.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

A close up of the rotted part that was cut away. I basically took off the top 25% of the caudex.

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Hi Clare.... I've got several different types to post pictures of by my big puter is in the shop.

I recently purchased 10 Thai Adeniums from a guy out in Calif. They are doing great and I'm anxiously awaiting to see if they are different or the same as what I have. If they are the same and the caudex isn't unusal I will use them for trades.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

You better hide that first one you posted Chris...it might end up in my suitcase when I visit you, Weeds, Tsavo, et. all in Florida! ;)

Neat pictures, BuriedTreasures! That was good of you to rescue that one. Love the color of the flower, and I especially love the leaves of the first one. That first one also has a gorgeous shape to it.

MZMunchken, I can't wait to see your pictures! I would also love to see your other ten when they bloom. I feel the same way about my little Adenium seedlings. I'm going to see what color they are and what shape they have, and then I will probably give some away as gifts or send to friends. I hope that they will be different colors.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Clare. I don't think the leaves will end up like that though. This one's been out of the soil for nearly 45 days. I think I'll see something a bit fuller.

And for that canuck that's hiding the Plumeria on me, wait till I post the pictures of endless beaches that you'll have to search through.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

:D aaaaaah blinding white beaches...good cover!!! ;D

Buried Treasures, do post again when that first one fill out a bit. I would also love to see it in bloom. Some of my seedlings have a red outline to the leaves, and some have a wide leaf margin. I just love all the variations. I hope the blooms are as varied.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Lost one Adenium to the great white north, but just ordered 500 more. I'm going to make sure I keep a red and a white this time, though.

I wasn't going to do any this year, but with the room at the new house, and the extra time on my hands now, I figured what the heck.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

500!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? We want many, many pictures!!! Imma going to go buy a few more suitcases! Mind you Weeds' Camellia will need at least a trunk...
p.s. it's only fitting a red and white one ends up here! ;D

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

I did 1500 last year, but 800 were from a co-op. I figured I can move through those within a month. They have to be better than the Jatropha. I can't believe the lack of interest we've had on those.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

My computer keeps freezing up and rebooting. :b The Jatropha is very unusual...so many new plants for me to discover. I forgot Pati's new Plumerias...she won't miss a few branches either! ;) How many suitcases are allowed aboard planes now???

Wow, that is a lot of Adeniums. Did you see Phil from Cornell University's auction on Ebay? He has them for sale for 10 for $15. That's where I got my seedlings. They are so beautiful. I just love them. I love my Jatropha too. Here's a link if you are interested: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2352887754

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

I've seen them before, and though inexpensive, it's not something I could offer to my customers. I need to know which ones I'm shipping, plus Adenium hybrids from seed often revert back to the standard picotee. That's the reason he sells them as a mix. He could plant a seed from a pink, and have a picotee develop. He won't know until it flowers.

All the ones we bring in our grafted 1 year olds. Pink, red, white, 3 kings, and a picotee. This way we know what's being shipped.

Oh, I see. Can you tell me what is a picotee? I'll have to do some research on this.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Picotee is the one you usually see in the big box stores like HD, and Lowes. It has the white throat and outer pink edge. It's the most common one, and what the caudex will be on the ones we bring in.

Propagating by cuttings, will produce a plant that's true to the parent, but you won't grow a caudex. Growing from seed, you get the caudex, but the flower is often a crap shoot. With grafting, you get the flower you wanted, and the caudex.

Thanks for explaining that, BuriedTreasures. I understand now. I thought I read somewhere that a cutting would produce a caudex over a long period of time, but perhaps I am not remembering correctly. I'll probably give away my seedlings which turn out to be the standard picotee. They will make nice gifts, and I'll keep the special ones for me:-)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

BuriedTreasures what is my name??? :D

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm kind of disappointed. I have two of my four that are like Picotee. White with a red rim. I so wanted and solid red or pink. Oh well, I have learned how to grow them. Maybe another time.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
BuriedTreasures what is my name??? :D

Umm.

Pam?

Like Duuuh

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Brugie,

You've got mail.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

&#@&$ #$% :b Try again Chris!! ;)

This message was edited Sep 1, 2004 10:25 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

A little more detail concerning the *plants* name would be helpful. ;)

This message was edited Sep 1, 2004 10:27 PM

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok.

They call it Adenium obesum Shocking Pink. It most likely has more than a dozen names over in Thailand, as each grower likes to reproduce them, and then re-name them. It's crazy.

Chris

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you!! :)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

It sure is a beauty ...... will Florida be in the playoffs again???

This message was edited Sep 1, 2004 10:29 PM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Chris. I appreciate your mail.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

This is the first one that I have had to bloom. It is the pink from the co-op. The red has some blooms just starting to show good. I thought this was late for them to be blooming here.

Thumbnail by busybee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.