No mail order trees until fall?

Newport News, VA(Zone 7a)

Have tried several websites to order
a tree, none I have found will
ship until late fall. I want to
plant a tree now, is this a possibility?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

You can plant container-grown trees at any time, but most mail order nurseries will not ship trees because of the stress of sending the tree through the mails.

Go to your local nursery or garden center and look around; you may find something you're interested in.

If the tree you want to plant is only available via mail order, then you have no choice but to wait until fall (actually the BEST time to plant a tree. Root activity is greatest in trees and shrubs during the fall).
Mike

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Most mail order nuseries only ship bare root trees.....to do so now would be to stressful on most trees. (plants in general)
Either get a container grown tree from your local garden center/nursery or unfortunetly wait till this Fall.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the information...
Not what I was hoping for but
kinda expected.. We only have
three nurserys here, so as you
can imagine they are packed full
of folks all the time and I try
to avoid crowds when every
I can....
Looking for an autumn cherry and
willow ( I think ) having abit
of trouble making up my mind..
have a great tomarrow
deller

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Do you have a large property? Willows grow very fast, have very invasive roots and become VERY large trees in a very short period of time.

I would not plant a willow unless you can plant it on the edge of a lake or river (especially if you are thinking of planting a weeping willow).

Weeping willows are large trees with very brittle wood and are way too big for the "normal" residential landscape.

The cherry will be a much better choice (with less headaches in the future, too).
Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.