Gourds, bees, a mistake, and ROADRUNNER!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy Folks, me again...

When RR and Bob (and Tessa) were out cruising the great Newnited States of America a month or two ago they stopped by our place. While here RR asked if I had any gourds so I showed her the pile that was haphazardly stacked over by my woodbin, some broken from a storm that threw them here and there, some in good condition.
As she was poking thru them to find one with the shape she was looking for a swarm of BEES appeared! They had made a nice nest in one of the gourds. I stood back, Bob stood back, Roadrunner stared at the bees.

Eventually she reached back down and got a gourd. It wasn't to her liking so she threw it back, and again, here come da bees!

Eventually, again, she grabbed a gourd and said, "This'll do." and we all walked away! We didn't know at the time she had made a mistake in her choosing!

Time passed and one nite I was contacted by RR on Instant Message and she said that when she cleaned the gourd the word MOM! was etched in it! Whoops! That was one of Alex's gourds that she "made" for her Mom! (Yep, we do the same thing with pumpkins; when they are grapefruit-sized you can lightly scratch a name or figure in the skin and it will be etched into it as the gourd/pumpkin grows.)

Good ol' Roadrunner....wait a sec, let me rephrase that...

Good Young Roadrunner offered to finish cleaning Alex's gourd and dye it the color of Alex's choice and send it back. Yay!

And here is the wonderful finished product! Thanks Jo/Roadrunner! (says Alex)!

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

A closer-up shot. (sorry about the glare from the light, the gourd is so SHINEY!)

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Crossville, TN

Shoe...that pretty girl of yours sure is growing into a lovely lady!! I'm glad I could do it for her. Jo

(I did get another one at the time...a very under nourshied dipper gourd about 9 inches long...will make a nice "rattle")

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Undernourished!! Undernourished my hambone!!!

That was probably the one we grew extra special...we had to order special rubber bands to wrap around the stem...it was an effort to constrict its growth so it wouldn't get bigger than the back of the pick-em-up truck (like it's ancestors)!

You're lucky you got such a small goody...it woulda cost you lots of gas to haul a full size one home with ya!

Crossville, TN

Shoe, Shoe, Shoe....I had a SHED full at home...BIG dipper gourds...I just needed a LITTLE one! LOL Jo

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

tsk tsk tsk...that's all I can say... tsk tsk tsk...

(a likely story..) ;>)

Crossville, TN

Hey...anyone want to hear another "Shoetale"? LOL Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.