is this bald cypress seed?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

My bald cypress has these all over it. Are these seed? If so, how does one propagate them.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Yes, those are baldcypress cones.
Mike

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hmm, this is the first time I have ever notices them on my tree. I will have to research this and see if I can grow them. I love my bald cypress. It is about 25 feet tall. Only bad thing is the roots.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

on the arborday.org website the only trees they offer my zip code are bald cypress.

Pretty but too right about the roots. Someone will love those seeds!

They get blown over regularly in Hollywood. So sad to see those giants go down.

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

We are developing a collection of conifers in a local park here in Australia and I would love some of your Bald Cypress seed to try for another species for our collection.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

kennedyh- can you get live plants by mail? Because we can get 10 baldies for $10 in my zipcode from http://www.arborday.org/Shopping/Memberships/Memberships.cfm

My zip is 90813

I don't need them and would be happy to send them to you.

(is this bad? trees feed the world, right?)

Unfortunately not! Seed is the only way of getting plants from overseas, without going through an expensive and lengthy quarintine procedure.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

O well....

best of luck with a cool project.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Kennedy, send me an email with your address. When the seeds ripen, I will send you some.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Baldcypress grows just fine in drier soils and will not produce the famous root structures known as "knees" when it is grown in drier soils.

There are two baldcypress trees growing in a yard in the northern suburbs of the Twin Cities that are producing cones. I have a good crop of seedlings from the seeds that I collected late last fall (these are possibly the hardiest baldcypress trees growing in the USA; these trees have seen temps of -35°F since being planted in the mid to late 1960's).

Sow the freshly collected seed in pots and cover with about an inch of medium and keep moist, but not wet. Though not necessary, giving the seeds a 90 day cold, moist period in the refrigerator will make germination more even.

The seeds I sowed last fall were left outside for the winter and started to germinate after the weather warmed this spring.

rylaff,
Your tree must be growing in moist soil if you are having problems with the roots. The best way to deal with this is to make a bed around the tree and use 3" to 4" of mulch in the area so it looks like a garden; that will keep people out of the area so no one will end up tripping over the "knees".
Mike

Thanks rylaff, you have email

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh treelover, were it that simple!!!! This tree is 25-30 feet tall. I have root nubs sticking up 15-20 feet away!!!! I run the lawnmower over them on a regular basis. Helps keep those nubs closer to the ground. As long as I do that, it it not so bad. That is okay though. I love this tree. My dad planted it years ago. She is a beaut!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.