The only Hummers here...

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I love hummingbirds and have seen a few in the West Indies and Belize, but we don't have any in europe.
When I lived in Kent we had just a few hummingbird hawk moths each summer, but here in the south of France there are oodles of them. They particularly seem to like Valerian and lavender. It almost makes up for the lack of Hummingbirds (*g*)
I just love all the moths and butterflies
Which ones do you get a lot of in your area?

Thumbnail by philomel

Another view

Thumbnail by philomel

...and I particularly like the almost abstract quality of this shot ;oD

Thumbnail by philomel
Lakeland, MN(Zone 4a)

Cool pictures! It's great to see the hummingbird hawk moth that you were talking about when we were there visiting. They do look similar. Ours are so fun. They kind of buzz or hum their wings near you if they think you are standing too close to their food.

Thanks Karen
Aaah yours are bolder then ours then - these whizz off if they think you've spotted them. Makes photography a little difficult :(

I was amused by the actual humming birds I saw. They seem very territorial and quite quarrelsome. Was so amusing to watch the little mites chasing each other around.
Do you have humming birds?

Lakeland, MN(Zone 4a)

Yes, we do have a few. We have the ruby throated variety here. Not as many as last year. But, I started to feed them late. Not until after our trip. When we see them we all stop what we are doing and watch and smile. A very simple delight.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Great pics. Esp that last one. He looks like a refueling jet with that really long tube(?) Nature is so esoteric.

Lucky you Karen, they're such lovely birds. Yes, a few minutes to watch gives so much pleasure :)

Thanks Blooms. I hadn't thought of the jet refuelling analogue, but you're absolutely right!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.