I Need HEEEELLPPP!!!!

Coxsackie, NY(Zone 5a)

I've been having this problem with my yellow squash, zucchini, and now my pumpkin!! I don't know why this is happening. Some of the veggies ripen just fine but for the 2 that grow right and are pickable I lose 3. What does this look like to the experts? Too much water? Too little water? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way the foliage of the plant is big, healthy, and happy.......it's just the veggies themselves that are iffy.

You'll see in the picture, the pumpkin on the left is all shriveled and dying but the one on the right appears to be doing well. I'm stumped!

Thumbnail by AlyM
Coxsackie, NY(Zone 5a)

Here's a pic of what my yellow squash is doing. My zucchini is doing the same thing. Some healthy and tasty and some are a complete loss before they even mature!

Thumbnail by AlyM
Coxsackie, NY(Zone 5a)

Ok, think I answered my own question........or, rather........you folks answered my question. I went back to the forums and found "blossom end rot" might be my culprit as a result of too much water. Think so?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

nope.

It looks like you are referring to the smaller ones that are shriveling up and dying. If so, that is typical of incomplete pollination (or lack of).

Female flowers are the ones that have the little "bulby-looking thang" on the stem just before where the flowers are. If the flowers get pollinated that 'potential fruit' will grow strong; if not pollinated it will grow a tad bit then shrivel and die.

I couldn't tell by your pics if there were any large ones dying. If so that could be worms/caterpillars or the like.

Can you post back here and elaborate more? (No need to worry...I think you'll be fine in the long run.)

By the way, don't believe I've ever welcomed you to DG so...

WELCOME TO DG! :>)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.