Is this a baby hummingbird?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

I know these photos are not great but he/she was moving so fast.....is this a baby hummer if anyone knows?

Thumbnail by Dea
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Another 'bad' photo

Thumbnail by Dea
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

And one more....and yes, that's a big nasty weed growing up through the monarda - lol :)

Thumbnail by Dea
Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I think you have a hummingbird moth here. They are insects but look a lot like hummingbirds. They are what tomato hornworms turn into.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

ugggghhhhhh! Thanks very much though :) Now we know!

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

The Humming-bird Hawk Moth is in the same family as the Tomato Horn-worm, but is a very different species. I posted a picture of the Moth in this thread: http://davesgarden.com/t/431429/Manduca

Lake City, FL

Dea, EEEeyuk! But your Monarda is beautiful! :) I had one just like yours and when I came back from vacation it was dead to the ground! I don't know what happened!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

The moths can actually be quite beautiful. Let me see if I can find you a close up.... Okay.... I can't locate the pic I found a while ago... but they can be very colorful and not just yellow and black like the more common ones.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I posted a closeup of one today. There's a good article about them linked to from my note: http://www.treklens.com/gallery/North_America/United_States/photo7617.htm

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

gardenwife, what a great photo. We have the moth from the tomato worm, but luckily not too many of them. One tomato worm got away from me a week or sh ago didn't see the damage until too late and it had already gone underground. Donna

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Hey Dea, I got one too. Digi cam is not good for these shots tho .

Thumbnail by scooterbug

ooops. I swear I put a red circle around it ......hmmmm !

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I swear I can't see a thing in any of the pics. Where is it?

I got rid of the photo, I'll see if I can use the one above =)

This message was edited Aug 10, 2004 2:12 PM

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

They're hard to see in some. I made an arrow on this one:

Thumbnail by gardenwife

Kim , I did put a red circle around the original and saved it. But it didn't show when I uploaded here ?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Did you maybe upload your original instead of the edited version? What program did you use?

Image Expert (came with the camera ) or .... coulda been Irfan View .

This message was edited Aug 10, 2004 4:37 PM

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Use Windows' search feature and search for part of the file name. You may find it is in two directories, especially if Irfanview was set to save to a different directory than your original was located.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.