Hopeless?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Now, first of all, understand that my garden is in a shady woodland, with only a few partly sunny spots, which I've spent years filling with hostas, wildflowers, primroses, azaleas, and the like, with a sprinkling of lilies. The Fall before last I planted two of the new Orienpet lilies, Scherazade, and Silk Road; the former was nice, but without any perfume, the latter got bitten off by a deer that got inside the fence, so it never bloomed. So far, so good, but then last Fall I added Orania, Alchemy, and Sweetheart (pictured below). Now the last few days I've been wandering around in a perfume factory, filled with these gorgeous, multicolored lilies, and I've developed acute lily mania, and fear the onset of Fall bulb-planting season. Is there any hope for me, or should I just go ahead and get out the chain saw? (I realize this may be the wrong place to ask this question; sort of like going in a bar to ask how to quit drinking).
Don

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Don - Come on in the water is fine!!! (said the spider to the fly)

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Don, I don't think it is something that you can will away.
It hit me 5 yrs. ago, and I still keep adding each spring and fall plus do trading on the side.

Happy affliction!!

Maxine

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Welcome to The Lily Addiction Center. At least as far as "bad habits" go, this is a good one. It's relatively inexpensive, you won't go to jail for it, your spouse can't be jealous and it's even healthy for you! Probably low cal and nutritious, too!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Plus you're helping to feed the deer and rabbits! Silk Road is on my wish list. Moby, I see you're from Lincoln NE. So am I.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Linconolness, what zone are you in? I can personally testify that Silk Road is not hardy in my zone of 4a as I have tried it 2 yrs. running. Bloomed beautifully, but no return next yr.

Maxine

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Here is Alchemy; wonderful perfume...

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

This is orienpet Orania:

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

This I know has recently been already shown on DG, but this is Silk Road, 7 feet tall in its second year in the garden.

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

7 feet in 2 yrs!!! Wow! Whatchya feed that thing Don?? Iowa must have a fabulous lily growing environment!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I think the deer chomping off the flower buds last year may have had something to do with it; it's also a bit too shaded (as is everything in this garden) so it grew taller. Of course the fact that I dug out that entire flower bed to a depth of 18" and filled it back in with a mixture of 1/3 peat, 1/3 composted manure, and 1/3 black dirt did play some role.
Don

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Don I am so glad to see you post!! Hadn't noticed you posting much since the round-up and I was afraid you had gotten lost out there in that wonderland of a garden of yours!!!!
I bet its hard to leave it!
This is a link to a photo of a daylily that I think you had brought to the round-up.
It is wonderful and I really wanted to thank you again for it as well as let everybody see its beauty!!!!
http://davesgarden.com/t/442733/

Alice

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Alice,
I guess I haven't been very chatty on DG this Summer; seems we're always gone (just got back from Little Rock, and off again next week). Glad to see your daylily bloom; I'd missed the original post. It's name is actually Prickled Petals (I know, I know... Doctor's handwriting). Do you want a piece of Breed Apart next year?
Don

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Or, how about a piece of Spacecoast Blastoff?

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Zonedenial--I was just praising your garden on another thread! Good to have you back again! I said I'd visited your incredible garden in May and how diverse it was. And now you have lilies blooming? Good for you! Nothing like an addiction to keep us all digging--and you have plenty of room in your own little Eden...

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh my gosh Zone! I would love both of them, they are marvelous!
Glad to know you are traveling and enjoying summer!!!
I will fix the name on my post and the tag, it is so gorgeous that I wouldn't want it to have the wrong name!
Thanks again.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Don, watch out for these lily people--they'll be getting out the chainsaw for you and there goes all your delicious shade...
Well, maybe just ONE more raised bed on the back path for daylilies. (Your fence isn't electrified is it? I tend to sleepwalk with a shovel on moonlit nights...) :)

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Alice... got you tagged for a piece of each. Wanda... if I hear "Timber" out in the woods, I'll know I'm in trouble.
Don

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much Don!

Wanda you have to be careful sleepwalking in wooded areas! You never know what might jump out at you!!!

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow you sure got some pretty ones. Great pictures.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.