To Start

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have never owned a bonsai, let alone grown one. I though, am a poor college student and am willing to do just about anything to save money. So, I saved the seeds from my lemon and germinated them. I have 13 sprouts and would like to use them for bonsai (trees will not do well here in the winter.) Am I crazy? Any suggestions?

Quartzmoon

Serena, IL(Zone 5a)

You are awesome. Was it hard to get them to germinate? Why will it not be good for trees there in the winter? Don't they grow lemon trees in Florida?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

dlsrzbb,
I live in north florida, so it does ocassionally get down to freezing here. They were really easy to germinate. I saved my seeds from store bought lemons and dried them out. Then I added 3 or 4 to those little peat pots. It took about 3 weeks, but 50% sprouted. Unfortunalty my mother killed them while I was out of town. She was suppose to bring them out of the yard if it stormed. She forgot and they washed away. So now I will have to start over.

quartzmoon

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

You can grow lemons in the house like tropicals. Pot your seedlings up in very large pots and let them grow into decent sized trees. Then think about training them. It will take a couple years.
I have a pretty lemon i started 3/4 years ago. :)

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

crimsontsavo,
How big are your lemons now. Can you attach a picture, I would lo9ve to see it.

quartzmoon

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hmm- I cant right now cause it's storming. I just planted it in the ground last week. (want a larger trunk and thats faster). I'll snap a shot of it tomorrow if it isnt raining.
The tree is about 1 ft and a half tall maybe. I'd have to measure it. It is a root over "rock" style- the rock being a good piece of knot wood.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.