Mulberry

Leros, Greece

We have a young mulberry...How many years before it begins to fruit? How do I feed this beautiful young tree?
Thanks

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

aI planted a white mulberry 4 years ago(didn't want the purple stains all over everything), it had quite a lot of mulberries this year. I didn't get to eat many of them, the birds love mulberries. Actually since I am pretty much an organic gardner, I didn't fertilize mine, just mulched with my own shreds from my plant material and from the poplars that were cut down and shredded. Mulberries have a vigorous root system and somewhat surface type too. good luck with yours. Donna

Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

Across the street from us is what must be a mature mulberry tree. It is about 35 feet tall. We didn't realize what it was...the fruit looks like black raspberries. I tasted one and it was delicious. Next year I'll ask the neighbors if they'd mind me harvesting some. There is more than enough fruit for birds and people! One thing to consider, though. Fruiting mulberry trees are best planted far from sidewalks, etc. unless you like tracking purple footprints behind you!

Inyokern, CA(Zone 8a)

I want purple stains everywhere! They might even dye my shirts! For drier climes (desert of California) I trial planted a 'Black Beauty' from Bay Laurel Nurseries. Goodbye to hard-to-grow blackberries! Mulberries are better than blackberries, if you can believe that! I have high hopes for a 'Pakistan KIng' I planted at the same time but it takes alot longer to fruit. Planted 3 more Black Beauty this year. Their dwarfing habit, slightly strange trunk structure, and large amount of berries make them a winner!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Probably 5 to 10 years. It should not need any fertiliser.

Is it Morus nigra or Morus alba?

Resin

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I finally had the fellow who works for me cut off at ground level, the trunk of my white Morus mulberry. the fruits were good, the birds loved them, Bbbbbbut I had not known what a really large surface root system they have. I had planted it at southern edge of my Woodland Garden area and nothing much would grow in that root infested area. I still have a Morus australus Unyru ( from FF, now they don't list that one, only Morus bombycus Unryu).

Resin, do you know if those are the same.

Mine planted in2003 is quite large, about 12 x 12 feet. Have never seen any blooms or fruit

Donna

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There's at least one fruitless variety of mulberry, so if that's the one you have then you'll never have fruits.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Resin, do you know if those are the same

Yes; the cultivar name is the same, and mulberry species names are very confused.

Although Morus alba, M. australis and M. bombycis are usually treated as separate species, all three are closely related and the latter two may perhaps be better treated as synonyms of M. alba. See e.g. http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/moalbau.htm

Resin

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Resin, and for the link. Mine is getting large enough so maybe will prune off some of the lower limbs.

Donna

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Oldest morus alba I have seen they guess to be 110 yrs old- i believe its in Kansas. It has had a hard life from the looks of it, but wasnt done yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.