Tools?? Anyone have ideas?

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Anyone have any ideas for tools. Good suggestion about pvc pipe to plant ws made. Anyone know about anything else homemade or sold out there thaat makes gardening easier. How about weeding for those of us who have arthitis in wrists?

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

i thought the weed hound was going to be another one of thoses tv garden tools that didnt work,but it actualy works pretty good on the big weeds,and even clumps of grass that get out of place.
also i made a reaching tool consisting of a 5/8th pvc as long as you need.and in the end i have two cotter pins,stuck through two opposing holes,one bent into a hook faceing up,and one down.the other two parts to the cotter pins are bent paralla to the tube and sucured with the good old fasion ever dependable,duct tape.if these instructions arnt clear,maybe i can post a pic soon.i use in everyday.

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

last night i was thinking,and it hurthaha,instead if running back and forth to the storge shead,i could use one of thoses wire baskets with two wheels for grocerys,to keep hand tools in,then just tote it along with me.
i got my timer,i keep forgeting to turn it on(scatterbrained is my middle name),i guess it takes some getting use to.

Im not familiar with the weed hound Den. If its on Tv-my viewing is limited to the Weather Channel in hurricane season. Who sells them? I hope you could post a picture of your invention-my son is very handy at making things-he took that after my late husband I get mind boggled trying to turn on a vcr or microwave. forgive my typos. The cataract is getting worse and I sometimes miss corrections.The baskety idea sounds good-it is the constant going back and forth that wears my knees out-The timer has to grow on you.

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

do you have a target store?we got ours there.i guess wal mart or k mart might have them too.
i guess you could put two cup hook on the end of a broom handel,faceing out not up.point one up and one down.get it?one for pulling and one for pushing.
cotter pins wont turn like a cup hook tho,so ill post a pic asap.

Thanks Den No Target but have the others Will see about them

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi all, I have a tall five gallon bucken with lid that I put a bucket pouch on it. you can buy them in most any hardware store, lowers, home depot, wal mart. Mine cost $5.00 i ordered it through harbor frieght. It has all sizes of pouches in the inside and outside of it. it drapes over the bucket so you can store inside and out. in the bucket you can put larger idems like a hanmer etc. tote it any where and with the lid on you have a great seat. If you are short use a regular size bucket instead of a tall one. I have severe arthritis and nerve damage in my legs and hands so this works well for me. Harbor frieght has a web site at harborfrieght.com where you can order it.

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

This message was edited Monday, Jun 11th 11:09 PM

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

thanks jcf,im going to do that!maybe today.
great idea,ive always seen them in ads,but i never thought what i could do with one.now i know.

Santa Barbara, CA

A large-wheel wagon is always handy, some even come like stakebed truck sides. If you are physically challenged, a wagon is better than a wheelbarrow. A kid's wagon is also valuable.

Yes Thanks a lot Janet Im going looking for one too. I saw at the hardware store today also a Casio heavy duty foldable step stool that was large enuf for me to sit on. a bucket is too low for me but this isnt. Thanks for the tip

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

i use a wagon.
i got my bucket all set up,and to add to the idea i put potting soil in it!

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

So glad you liked my idea. I put everything in my bucket: suncreen, clippers, cutters, knife, seeds, measuring tape, pens and paper, judt everything I need while working in the garden. A regular size bucket is to short for me too thats why I have a extra tall one. Washing powder came in mine from sams club.

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

i got one from k mart.
i went to three different stores for the apron,and finally settled for an apron that you tie around your waist,it works though.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I bought a Fiskar's PowerGear lopper the other day - simple concept, a lopper with gear teeth, but o what a difference.
I'm going to get one for Dad for Father's Day.

Red Wing, MN(Zone 4A)

My balance is poor and a wheeled thing didn't work for me. I use a plastic sled that I had on hand for my grandchildren in the winter. Put all my tools in it including my foam pad that I sit on while I work.

This message was edited Friday, Apr 5th 4:10 PM

I,m looking for a garden cart for my mother-in-law. Most are 10" high which is too low. Is there a taller one or the tractor seat model (Scoot?) and do they make a difference.? Thanks

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I bought a beach umbrella on clearance at the drug store. Best $5 I ever spent! It's 6' in diameter and made of lightweight nylon. The end is pointy so you can stick it in the grass and do your gardening in the shade. I just am not a hat person, nomatter how hard I try to be. :o)

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

THE CLAW!! Is awesome for getting into those places where a tiller would be inpossible! It is good for loosening weeds too. I am not familar with the weed hound but I love my CLAW! I even found a mini claw this summer, late in the season. It is a hand held device. THE CLAW has four slightly curved prongs that are approx. 5-6 inches long with a 3 foot handle that you twist. Not only do you get the gound all nice a crumbly you get workout too. LOL Doesnt do good with dry or wet soil, but neither does a tiller. If the soild it rock hard I dampen it first. I love mine and I have purchased two, since my mother snagged mine and wont part with it.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Look here -- It's a company in the UK, but I believe they ship overseas and their prices aren't that bad for specialty items. http://www.peta-uk.com/acatalog/index.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.