Shocking Oriepet

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm growing a number of the Orienpet or OP lilies this year and love them all. This is the only one I got a photo of. It's called "Shocking". Lasts at least 2 weeks as a cut flower and also a long time in the garden.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

That one is on my list for fall shopping this year. Nice pic!!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

WOW! Lily envy here...

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I want to know more about the Oriepet, glad to hear you're growing them. Are they as fragrant as the Orientals? You can tell me whatever you know, lol!
Thanks,
Vi

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi Vi, The Orienpets are crosses between the Orientals and Trumpet lilies. So far all mine have been fragrant. Maybe more like Orientals and not as overpowering as some trumpets. I got 5 different types from Jung Seed Company last fall and most of the bulbs set up 2 stalks this year that bloomed. My favorites were American Adventure which is a crimson red with white edge and American Dream which is a pink with rose red center and edged in white. Both looked very much like Oriental lilies, but bigger, stronger and seemed to last longer in the garden. I've ordered a couple more sets from Jung to plant this fall. You'll love them!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

LOL. Lincoln I just posted to Vi about Jungs catalog in another thread!! LOL! I've not ordered from them before but have a couple of Lilies and maybe some perennials I'm going to order. Good to hear some first hand experience with them here on DG.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I've been ordering form Jung's for years and I've always been happy with them. Good prices.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Good to know, may get some on theirs and save the expensive ones for the co-op!

I'm so excited to see this forum, hope it helps to narrow down my wants, lol! Hope everyone helps to fill in our database, it would be nice to have as much info as possible!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I have something very similar called "American Heritage". They last a long time as cut flowers and I am glad that I cut some, as the heat has finished off the blooms outside but I still have one inside.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

That's a pretty one too! Dang I knew I should stayed out of this forum. I am wanting them all now. lol

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

my first shocking bloomed yesterday, i hope to get some pics today. it is my first orienpet to bloom.

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

here is a picture of my 'Shocking' checking out the dahlia

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Whaaaa!!! < Shocking-less!!! :-( Another I'll have to add to my list!

My list of "Lillies I Want" is so long that it is dragging on the floor... (adding to the list furiously)

I'm dreaming about Lilies in the catalogs & thought I'd go "shopping" thru old threads for comments. wow! I'd forgotten what a beautiful summer we've had!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I just received my new B&D Lilies catalog a couple days ago. I took it to work real fast and gave it to another gardener there so I would not be too tempted. I love lilies!!

Susan

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i grew my shocking, in a container this year. 3 bulbs in a 2 gal container. they did very well and i was surprised at how long the blooms stayed nice in the direct sun. they did fade, but i wanted to experiment with them and i was pleasantly surprised. when moved to the shade the blooms lasted even longer and the colors stayed more vivid. other lilies bloomed after this one and died off before this one was done.
i hope all the orienpets are like this.
debi z

Thumbnail by debi_z
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

This is Supreme O/P that bloomed last yr.

Have many of the O/P as they are quite hardy for our area.

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Lovely blooms, Maxine. I'm eagerly awaiting my blooms this year. I planted quite a number of Orienpets.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Maxine, what is that tiny bit of lily I see there -- white with pink stripe?

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Moby, right now I can't tell you. Will have to wait until spring and I can see my flower tags.
It could be Dizzy.?

Maxine

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

hmm...don't see any spreckles... That's OK, I bet you'll post a pic of it some day!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

IMore and more Orienpets are becoming available every year. I ordered a bunch more from B&D as well as some from White Flower Farm and Wayside that are new and different. I like Orienpets (or OT hybrids) because they do so well in the high heat conditions of summers in the south.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Which ones did you order Steve? I ordered OT Dragon's Eye from BD among a few other Oriental/Asiatics.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Brenda,

I ordered Roxie, Conca d'Or, and of course about a dozen Futuras from B&D, Silk Road from Wayside and the Lily Garden, Visaversa from WFF, and Passionale, Red Hot, and Satisfaction from Wayside. They're coming out with more and more vibrant colors in this group of lilies all the time. Also ordered some Orientals and Asiatics like you did!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Wow.....where you putting all those Futura's?? LOL

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Steve, you will like the Conca D' Ora! I have had that for a couple of yrs, I think. Would have to check my records.

I ordered from B & D the e mail specials.
Ortega, Villanova, Golden Reflections, Regal[one of my favorites], Heavenly Trumpets, and Black Dragon strain,.

Would have to check my records, but think I ordered Dragon's Eye last fall and planted for this summer.
Any one seen the Lily Garden's new catalog for 2005?

Maxine

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I've not gotten TLG's 2005 catalog yet, Maxine. I'm still being inundated with daylily catalogs.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I received B&D's lily catalog recently. Nice one. I've requested a catalog from Lily Garden, hope it comes before too long.

I'm ogling the lily & daylily catalogs flooding my mailbox right now, but I don't want to commit until the Des Moines Lily Society has our Spring bulb sale. (Yes, I live in Cedar Rapids 120 miles away, but I like the Des Moines club better! lots of DGers!) I figure my $$ will go farther when we're buying as a group.

I was looking at that "Dizzy" lily too--looked simply lucious!

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Wanda, do you purchase for others or just your self when you go to Des Moines?
I belong to the Wisc. lily assc. NW assc., but am not going to renew my membership.
I have a friend who is in the Minnn. lily assc. and they receive a 10% discount on the lily bulbs that they buy from their sales.
Will buy any place that I can save money. Living on a limited income is for the birds!!

Maxine

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Van Bourgondien catalog just arrived yesterday. More temptation! Really like the new double Oriental Lily "MIss Lucy". The photo on the back of the catalog looks even better than this one. Good thing I'm all out of room and money!

http://www.thebulblady.com/spring/z32883.70690.html

Susan

Maxine--I don't know the procedure for the Lily Society sale yet. I know that I'll be selling lily bulbs at the Des Moines Flower, Lawn & Garden Show and Sale. This event is held at the Iowa State Fairgrounds, Varied Industries Building. The dates of the upcoming Show is March 17 through March 20, 2005. In addition to having plenty of information on growing and caring for Lilies, we had a nice selection of plump, healthy lily bulbs for sale at our booth.

Anahi, Iowaron & lilyfan are on the bulb sale committee--they know more than me. I'll let you know when I have more details.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.