Lily Life Span?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

My Stargazer is 8 or 9 years old. It's usually 5 feet tall and had about 14 blooms. It's shorter this year and has only 7 buds. Anyone know how long lily bulbs live?

Thumbnail by Moby
Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

I'm really not finding that info, but I know that some lilies live for decades. I don't know about Orientals, tho. I've never had much luck with them here.

Cheri'

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

If you seperate the bulbs and bulblets and replant them every two or three years in good soil they should go on forever.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Ulrich!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Gosh Moby!! They look wonderful! They must really love you, and you them!

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Forgot to mention that they have to be in their resting (dormant) stage when digging them up. Replant before they dry out.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I am growing some Tigerlilies that were from Mama's garden that I planted as a child (over 50 years). I dug some up last fall, and the bulbs were HUGE.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Shelly! I do love them, they're my most prized garden possesion.
Wanda - how wonderful that you have a treasure from your Mama that brings such sweet memories...

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

Moby-
I have some St. Joseph's lilies (hardy amaryllis) that have been in my family over 150 years. They are so special to me, and I always feel like a member of my family has arrived when they come up. I think that lilies can go on beyond our time if they're taken care of. I don't take any of my liles, and I grown several varieties, up. I do however, fertilize, and take care of them with added new compost etc. and baby them with all kinds of other things. Good luck.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LGW - How wonderful to keep your 'family' intact for so many years!

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

I may move from TN to NY next year, and I'm moving them with me-I hope they will live in that climate-at least I'm going to give it a try.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

LGW - with family heirlooms like that I'd sure try to get something in your sales contract about getting those bulbs when you move! I've read some horror stories here on DG and from neighbors about battles over getting plants after having a "gentleman's agreement" to that affect before the sale of the home.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

lgw728, i agree with brenda, put it in your contract.

also, i'm here in massachusetts and i grow lots of gorgeous lilies here. what zone will you be in? new york is a big state. debi z

Oh my goodness--150 years??? Are those the bright red amarylis I saw all over San Antonio in April? My business partner moves his garden to each house he restores. He takes 1/3 of the plantings each time and has it written into the sales contract so there will be no mistakes.

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

Yes, those are the bright red flowers. I intend to do the same about moving them as your partner. I will have that written into the contract-I won't be moving many plants, but those I will for sure.

I think I'll die before I have to move my gardens--too much work! They can just bury me in my flowerbeds like all the family pets.... LOL

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i here you wanda. i don't know if i could do it all again.

I keep telling myself: "I'm not getting older, I'm getting better", but my back and muscles stopped listening a long time ago!

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 8b)

Hello all nice to see more than I could not live without my Flowers when moving. We moved last year and took everything with us. The whole first load in the truck was full,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, all 26' worth of pots (I still had to make trips back to the old house for what was still in the ground). I started and grew most everything in pots knowing full well we would move them to the ""House in the Country"" we were looking for. What a joy to be able to put it into new beds "as soon as they are done", one at a time I guess. LGW728 just wondering if you would be in the market to share even 1 of you St. Josephs ?? I have Amaryllis from seeds that are about 3 " tall now or anything else we could work out. Take care all

MelodyML

Melody--a woman with a true Gardeners Soul!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.