Show Off Your Lilies

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

I thought I would start a thread for pictures!
I am really excited about this new forum. I love lilies and am looking forward to learning lots.

I will start it off here with a few that were new for me this year.
This is a dwarf asiatic. I think its called mona lisa but it looked a lot like a stargazer to me, except that the flower was larger than a normal stargazer.
I really liked them and they are great for around the edges of the lily beds.

Thumbnail by aknapp
Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't remember the name of this trumpet lily but it was very nice and lasted a long time.

Thumbnail by aknapp
Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

This is a trumpet lily called African Queen the aroma from this one was wonderful.

I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, and still haven't quite decided.

Thumbnail by aknapp
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I don't have many lilies yet, but here's one that is vigorous in my yard. This one is a just a simple bright yellow : Nove Cento

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Friend sent me a picture of her yellow star gazers,quite impressive!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

'White Henryi' from my spring coop.....I only got one bulb. I'll have to get more this fall!

Thumbnail by langbr
Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

langbr that is a beauty, I am not surprised you want more!!!!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Not sure what this one is but mercy me..it is so fragrant!!

Perhaps a Stargazer? Anyone know?
Edited to add: Nope...just saw a Stargazer in another thread. It looked much darker. (Or are there different colored Stargazers?)

This message was edited Jul 7, 2004 11:12 AM

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

'Shoe - it probably is Stargazer. There is some variation especially dependent on amount of sun the flower gets.

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/1427/index.html

There are a lot of simliarities though in 'Starfighter' sold by one of the large dutch mail order companys.

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/57896/index.html

And to some degree 'Sarabande' can be confused with it. (Notice it has a much large green throat than Stargzer though).

http://www.thelilygarden.com/pages_lilies/orienpet_3.html#sar

Not sure I was much help! LOL

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Okay, Thanks!

So a "Stargazer" can have different colors or hues then, eh?

Thanks for the links.

Now lemme go see what else is blooming around here!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here is a pic of my Stargazers from 2002. They develop a deeper color with more sun. Mine get about 6 hours in the afternoon. I think your lily looks like a Mona Lisa; almost identical to a Stargazer, just lighter. But it does look like a Stargazer you would get from a florist. Here is a link for a Mona Lisa pic:

http://www.pbase.com/image/28807769

Thumbnail by Moby
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Moby!

You're right...mine does look similar to the Mona Lisa! The colors match perfectly, but does it matter where the colors extend with lilies? Mine has very red center ribs all the way to the end of the petals and more white edges than the Mona L. Will those areas also be affected by the number of hours of daylight/sun/shade, etc?

If it's truly a M. Lisa I'm gonna rush out and put a plant tag on it!

Many thanks!
(Ain't it nice to have a lily Forum!?) :>)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

You're welcome, Horseshoe. That's my best guess, LOL! Yes, it's GREAT having a lily forum, many thanks to Wandasflowers and Dave!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

♫ We bad...We bad...♫♫ uh-huh...uh-huhh...♫

(learnt that from my daughter!)

Yep...the lily forum rocks! I'm about to order some more. (Old House Gardens has some nice ones...will be checking them out soon!)

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Shoe - I'm still planning on another Lilium coop in a month....so you know.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Great!....I'll keep my eyes out for it!

I have a million of these 36 inch pink ones. Does anyone want to trade?

These Italia have been blooming for over 3 weeks now.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Shoe..... "Pink Ribbons" maybe??

http://www.bdlilies.com/l7418.html

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow! These are some beautiful pictures!
Im glad to hear about a co-op langbr! Its been quite slow this year over there. Any idea who it will be thru yet? I would love to get a head start on hemming and hawing, and oohing and ahhhing. :o)

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

The Lily Garden.....same company I did the Spring one with.

http://www.thelilygarden.com/pages_general/index_alpha_images.html

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmm....Pink Ribbons...sure looks like it, eh? Only a tiny bit variation but that could be environmental. Thanks!

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

langbr, i want to get in on the coop, i need to look up how it all works, isnt it where we all chip in our money and buy a bunch from one company so that we get them cheaper.... all of them are sent to someones house and they divide it up and ship them to the garden webbers who paid for the bulbs? ok here are some of my pics.. i forget the name of this one.. i'll have to look it up...

Thumbnail by cici77
Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

here is oriental lily berlin and aruba....

Thumbnail by cici77
Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

here is muscadet....

Thumbnail by cici77
Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

My wife didn't like the Latvia, so last year I pulled all of them and gave them away. Guess I didn't do a very good job, this is what came up this year.

Thumbnail by PotEmUp
Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Tiger Lily - Definitely need more of these.

Thumbnail by PotEmUp
Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Golden Stargazer. I was sort of disappointed, but it may have been the batch of bulbs I got. Out of 4 bulb I only got one flower. Maybe they will do better next year. You can see the stargazers going gangbusters in the background.

Thumbnail by PotEmUp
Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

ok last one for today , black beauty...

Thumbnail by cici77
Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Open Lovely Girl with Hot Lips just beginning to open in the same pot.

Thumbnail by PotEmUp
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

cici...does your Black Beauty have the green throat and spots like this one? I got mine from Old House Gardens last year.

Thumbnail by Horseshoe

Potemup-Wow! And those were the ones you missed digging?
Cici--Black Beauty is incredible. What a lovely form!

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

thanx wandasflowers, i love her too... she is beautiful i love her "eyelashes" (:
horseshoe, yep mine sure does... were u wondering if thats what u had was black beauty? here is a close up of another one of mine taken this mornin...(:

This message was edited Jul 9, 2004 10:03 AM

Thumbnail by cici77
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Purty...good'n purty!

Mine is really blooming like crazy too! Lookin good!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

What a gorgeous "black Beauty" picture. You must be a top notch photographer. My Chinese trumpet lilies are finishing up, but the yellow common lilies are starting to bloom. Also have Casa Blanca in bud.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Wonderful pictures, everyone! I'm so glad to see this forum, too:) Just wish we could have a thread of each named one to help in identifying. If anyone has a minute, would you look at this http://plantsdatabase.com/go/56954/index.html and see if you think it's what I've been calling StarGazer?

Thumbnail by violabird
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

BTW, count me in on the co-op! What about asking Bleek?
http://www.eflowergarden.com/default.aspx

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Finally!! My first bloom this year.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2004 10:15 PM

Thumbnail by Moby
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Cici - you've got quite a collection of lilies I'd say!!! Some excellent varieties!

PotEmup - Latvia !!! You gave them away!! Whaaa....that's on my list for either this fall or next spring. If you're gonna do anymore ripping out....drop me an email first.....I'll send you postage for sure in a heartbeat!

Black Beauty was a popular one in my coop this past spring....wished I'd had ordered some of those. The photos I've seen of them since the coop (those above included) are much better than the ones I had from the coop grower. I should have researched that one a bit better.

Violabird - I think Dori & Bert usually do bulb coop in the fall (they did last year). I try to offer some really interesting and unusual varieties in my coop. They are pricier, but that's kind of the way I am about my lilies I guess. I'm planning on going with the same grower again as I was very pleased with their bulbs and they included a bonus for every participant which impressed me. To be completely upfront though there were a couple of folks that had some no shows on a couple of bulbs this summer and the grower has agreed or already replaced those bulbs for those affected. I only know of 2 people out of 50 in the coop. LimeyLisa also posted about a failure to show on one of hers in another thread but she never replied to my inquiry about it.

I encourage anyone and everyone to order lily bulbs from all the reputable sources they can find. Lilies are a superb flower offering great beauty, easy care, and a wide range of bloom periods.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.