Another Iris? in need of identification

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

These plants were in my yard when I bought my house. I'm a very amature gardener and don't know very much about what I have...I mostly just wing it and somehow things manage to survive. I would really like to know what this flower is. I think it is an iris, but don't know for sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Thumbnail by mgh
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm guessing, but from the looks of the leaves it is a Jap. iris variety.

Do you have lots of fans to trade?
I would be interested if you do.

Maxine

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

It looks like Japanese iris to me too. Very pretty color!

Thanks for the info Maxine and poppysue. One time I looked it up on the internet and I thought maybe it was a Japanese variety, but didn't know for sure. It is one of my favorites in my yard.

As far as having many to trade, I'm not sure. I moved several clusters of them 3 years ago and let a friend take quite a few at the same time. I now have 2 clusters and only one cluster has flowered so far this year. If you let me know how to succesfully seperate these, I would love to trade what I can!

Here is another view of it.

Thumbnail by mgh
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here is one of mine thats blooming now

Thumbnail by notmartha
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh, That is difficult over the net to tell you right.
I only dig with a dull fork [think it is called a potatoe fork as it has flat tines] at the edge of the plant. If its not too dense with roots, it should be easy to separate.
Also watch how deep you plant iris. Most iris wish to be planted shallow. I planted my one and only Jap. iris around 2" deep with rhizomes being covered and it has bloomed for me.
The TB iris you only want to cover the roots leaving the top portion of the root uncovered [no dirt].

Hope this helps.
Let me know if you think you can spare a fan or two.
Have named TB and siberian iris to trade.

Maxine

Maxine,

I sent you an email, but I haven't heard from you so I thought I would post a reply. I would love to trade iris with you. Is it ok to do so while the iris is blooming? Do I just cut off the stems and send the rhizome? I've never done this before and I want to make sure you get live plants so please let me know anything you can. :-)

Thanks,

mgh

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Thats funny, as I sent you an e mail right back.
Wait until it has quit blossoming and flower buds are dry.
Although I have been known to dig and give to people when blooming. I just tell them to baby them. Give them water if you don't get a shower of rain every week.
Here normal time to plant or replant iris or peonies is the first part of Aug.
I also have some dwarf iris [height 6" color purple] if you are interested also other than the TB iris and Siberians.

Maxine

Arnett, WV(Zone 5b)

Maxine do you perhaps have some of these for trade? postage? They are stunning!!!!!

Cathy

catbirdsue,

Are you wanting some of the iris in the photo at the beginning of this thread? If so, those are ones that I have and am trading with Maxine. I just got done digging them up and I have some extras if you would like them. Do you have anything to trade? :~)

mgh

Huntington, IN(Zone 5b)

If you have any left over for trade, I have the iris called full tide blue(dug from my mils four days ago) and a hybrid daylily that is peach colored with a gold outer fringe.Beautiful large bloom and scent. Let me know if interested. pot

potofgold,

I have a few more fans I can trade. I think you were asking me, right? :~) I would love to have the iris you mentioned. I only have two different ones, both unamed. I have some orange daylillies that should probably be seperated, but it is blooming right now. I would love to have the daylillies you mentioned too. Let me know! :~)

mgh

Huntington, IN(Zone 5b)

Sorry for my tardiness>>Oh this is what happens when I forget to put on watch thread...people reply and I don't get messages, DUH on my part.
What I have is Apricot ruffles,(daylily)check database, do you like it?
I want to make sure my MIL dosen't have this(iris)you have. I don't think she does and if your still interested would love to trade, if you still have any left.
I will get back to you! You still have any jap.iris for trade? pot

St Peters Village, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey mgh, try this site - ensata.com. They have about 500 Japanese iris listed, most of the with pix. They also have the widest selection of siberians of any supplier I have come across.
Sorry I don't know how to link.
I'm on Mac. Would anyone like to 'walk' me through it?

potofgold,

I looked in the plants data base and didn't see a photo of the daylily you have. I am in Pensylvania right now on a business trip with my DH. I am using a laptop he borrowed from work, so I don't know if there are certain settings not allowing the photo to come through or if there just isn't a photo listed. I will look again when I get home on Tuesday. I do still have a few fans of this one to trade and I will more than likely want the one that you have. I will get back with you when I get home. :-)

SpringOaks,

That is a great site! Thanks for showing it to me. After looking through their lists, I am thinking maybe "Reign of Glory", but I'm still not sure. The petals aren't as horizontal as the ones on my flower. What do you think?

I think its definitely it. Did you have fun looking at ALL the pix? I spent hours on this and many hosta sites as well. The entire winter seemed to go by online!!

SpringOaks,

I had a great time on this wesite! Found many I would love to order, but I don't really have the room to plant them!

I just realized you are in PA. I am in PA right now...Allentown I think? I get so confused with all the burgs, towns, villes and townships. I looked you up on the map and we're not too far away! That's kinda funny!

I think I better go to sleep now....I think I'm keeping my DH awake! ooooops!!!

mgh, that is funny and you're from Oregon?

SpringOaks, you have email! 8~)

mgh

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Mendy - did you ever get an ID on the Japanese iris in your first post? I have the same one and would love to have a name to go with it. Thanks.

Nope sure didn't, Pirl. I would love to have it ID'd though.

Anyone out there know?

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Mendy, you have Dave mail.

Maxine

Maxine - do you know the name?

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

No. Right now don't have to time to research the jap iris name. Knee deep in weeds and quack grass and taking care of garden produce. Picked 2 ice cream buckets of strawberries this morning around 7am and will make freezer jelly or jam tomorrow as we have a graduation this afternoon.

Sure glad I am RETIRED!!

Maxine

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Might be JI Ocean Mist.

Thumbnail by boojum

Beautiful.

Sure looks a lot like it, but I would want to grow that one next to mine to see. Maybe one of these days I'll order some that I think might be it and then I can compare them.

Good idea.

How tall is yours, boojum?

Don't remember and it's budded but not in bloom yet. That was last year's picture. I'll do research.

Plantfiles say 24-36".

PF is misleading that way. It gets me crazy as well.

Mendy - if you have more photographs of your unknown JI, in different lighting, it may well be Ocean Mist. This is Ensata's photograph:

Thumbnail by pirl

Pirl you have dmail. :o)

I was also thinking it might be Gusto:

Thumbnail by mgh

Yours may be Gusto but with different lighting it's so hard to tell.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.