How About A Lily Forum???

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Dave, Last year you let our Iris Addiction have it's own Forum & it's been GREAT.
Can we have a Forum now for Lilies? We're meeting at "Bulbs", but are mixed in with alliums to Tulips. We would like to talk about Asian Lilies, Oriental Lilies, Mystery lilies & lots more. Lilies need specific care & advice. Can you help us?

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

I am all for this idea! I love lilies! and it should be a forum with the pictures on the list page . . . . =)

I notice that other lily lovers are confused about where to post their lily questions. Occasionally a lily thread turns up in the daylily forum, or in one of the more generic forums, like garden talk. Someone always directs them to the bulb forum for the best info. I think if there were a lily forum there would be less confusion about where to post, and a better chance of getting good info to the question-er in time to make a difference.

Cheri'

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

I agree with Wanda! It would be great to have a lily forum!!! Great idea Wanda!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I vote in for a Lily Forum ..... Is this going to be Lilium only or will other "lilies" be invited like lycoris, amaryllis belladonna, Sprekelia, ???

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Hey Lily-lovers! I was given some gorgeous LA Hybrids last year and when they died down I re-potted the main bulbs and planted the baby bulblets all over the yard. They all came up this year, some bloomed, and now they are going to rest.
Question: Can I lift them and store them (dry?) to keep track of them or must they remain buried and moist???
Expert advice will be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Ulrich - you don't want any of the lilium bulbs to dry out. I'd leave them buried where they are or gather them up and replant them somewhere together to keep track of them.

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Thank you so much, Brenda, that's exactly what I needed to know.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

What is the difference between lilies and day lilies? There is already a forum for Day Lilies. http://davesgarden.com/f/hemhead/

Forgot to say...wouldn't they all fit together if the name of the forum was changed to just Lilies?

This message was edited Jul 4, 2004 6:38 PM

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

daylilies are Hemerocalis, Lilies are Lilium. Two totally different plants with almost nothing in common. Other than the name and the shape of the flowers (the older daylilies, I mean)

Edited to add:
the cultivation of the two are so different that they don't belong in the same forum.

Lilies are bulb type plants, Daylilies are root type perennials. They have different sun requirements, prorogation is different, different things effect them different ways. It would make as much sense as adding them to the Brug forum. (I assume, I know nothing about Brugs) =)

Cheri'

This message was edited Jul 4, 2004 6:47 PM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Good to know. I'm not a lily or day lily person, so I'm learning something here. Are lilium not perennial? Guess I need to go educate myself some on them. Thanks for the info.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Lilies are perennial in that they come back year after year. They do that by means of storing energy in a bulb (or is it a corm . . . ). Daylilies are perennial like cone flowers are perennial. No bulb (tho they may store excess energy in small tubers).

I learn something new here everyday . . . the challenge is remembering and applying it! LOL

Cheri'

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

How About A Lily Forum???

OHHhhhhhh YEAHHhhhhhhh ! ! ! ! ! !

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Lily Forum - you bet! Some addictions can't be overcome and shouldn't be!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Lily Forum would be GREAT!

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Its a wonderful affliction!!
Count me in.

Maxine

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

Anyone know anything about tiger lilies--red lily? Thanks, Liz

Done!

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Woo hoo!

http://davesgarden.com/f/lilies/

Cheri'

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

Does "done" mean you'll help me on tiger lilies? Liz B>

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Liz, what do you want to know? The only significant thing I know about tiger lilies is that you don't plant them with other lilies, because they may carry a virus.

Go to the new Lily forum and ask . . . =)

Cheri'

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Dave you are the best!!!!!

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

Thank you Cheri'. Someone gave them to me and I have books from the 60-70's and not one of them have them in there. I'd like to know all I can. Thanks for the advise..Liz

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

lizbar - how about this link for info on Tiger Lily.....

http://www.holoweb.com/cannon/tigerlil.htm

It gives the info Cherí refers to about it being a carrier of virus that harms other lilium.

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks yall, I have a bad habit of planted things with other things. I have alot of things planted in the same pot. I better check!!! Thanks

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Dave, You are FAST! I love my daylilies but these lillium people have so much to tell me too. Thanks again for your fast response to my new addiction!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Dave, I really admire the fluidity of these forums. You can't be all things to all people, but the forums point all people in one direction. I am really learning a lot from this site.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

WOWZA - like someone read my mind when I was at the lake. I was thinking the same thing - as there is a daylily forum, but nothing for other lilies. THANKS! :)

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Dave, you've made my day! Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.