Is a dump site safe for vegs?

Woodbourne, NY(Zone 5a)

My main concern is the possibility of toxic residues that might make their way into vegetables....

The property I'm renting was a mountain resort in the 40s and 50s, and there is an old in-ground pool that has been used as dump for decades. Most of it is filled with soil now, but the deep end was still used as a dump and garbage burning site until I arrived last fall. I cut through thistle and nettle that was much taller than I am, cleared out all the metal, glass, plastic and tar paper, and burned the wood, cardboard and paper.

The decorative raised lip of the pool and surrounding walk seemed ideal for a garden. I had initially wanted to intersperse flowers and vegetables, but I have begun to worry that toxic chemicals might be lurking.

First, there is the antique pool paint. It is mostly gone, but could it be in the soil? Second, I pulled out tons of tar paper, and now, as I'm sod-busting, I'm finding chunks of asphalt. Could these have left dangerous residues? I'm sure that there is still tar paper, old shingles and asphalt in the ground deeper than I am digging.

Does anyone have ideas about this. I'm pretty much resigned to sticking to flowers for the pool garden, and putting a vegetable garden elsewhere.

BTW, I know it's late to start, but I'm high in the mountains of NY state, and we had two frosts last week!

New Paris, OH

Get a soil test and test for lead. If there is lead than test further if you want to know what exactly is in the soil. A positive test means remediation (i.e. soil removal).

If you don't want to go through that than you could construct raised beds and give the beds a foundation so the soil in the beds will not mix withthe possibly contaminated soil.

Santa Barbara, CA

I personally would be very cautious; I personally would not grow vegetables on the site. In fact the whole situation gives me the willies. Some plants are bioaccumulators of heavy metals. Aside from lead, you should be concerned about arsenic, mercury, dioxins and other persistent chlorinated hydrocarbons.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I agree I'd be vey careful witrhout a very complete soil test

(Zone 4b)

I hope you aren't getting your water from a well on your property! PLEASE get a soil test before you grow anything you will eat from the land and a water test if you are getting your water from your land.

-plant girl :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.