birds in the basement

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I try I really do to live side by side with all the wild critters but this one kinda surprised me. I live in an old farmhouse in the sticks. well we have a big problem with water in the basement so had opened the old cellar type door so the hose from the sump pump could come out easily and we could drain the water. thinking what animal in their right mind would want to go down there?. Well, some resident barn swallows decided they did. They swoop in and out like crazy. I thought they liked high places. There are plenty of barns around here as well, but noooooo they take up residence in my BASEMENT! Now I will have to wait till babies hatch to close the door! ggeeeezz

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Don't feel bad, KathyJo. I got home one day and half of my potted plants were either knocked over or askew. When I asked DH what the heck happened, he said that a starling had come down the chimney, got past the chimney cover and was flying around the house. (I should have known is was a bird, he left a tell-tale deposit on my couch.) DH said it took him 15 minutes to catch him. He never thought about the fish net. We have had chimney sweeps in the wood stove and also a few wood ducks stuck in the chimney. I put some sturdy leather gloves on when I pulled the wood ducks out because I didn't know what I was going to get. (If it would have been a bat, I would have lost it!!!) The joys of country living!!!
Ruth

Ruth
Sounds like you need to put a wire mesh screen on the chimney to keep the birds from coming on down and into the house, plus it's alot safer. Sometimes birds will build nest in the chimney and plug it up and when you go to use the fireplace in the winter you won't have all the mess when the chimney backs up and the house full of smoke, plus it can cause a fire if your chimney is not cleaned out. The house that we lived in before had the chimney cleaned and the person who cleaned it got 2 plastic grocery bags full of bird nest and other material so you really need to put a mess screan on the chimney outside....don't want you to have a fire. It has happened many of times...the fire dept. being called out because the chimney has backed up because of a plugged up chimney. Have chimney cleaned real good first before putting the mesh screen on. Just a suggestion.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

i don't wanna freak u guys out but my mam's very superstitious and she always says that birds in the house is a really bad omen :(

lil

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Lilith, I have always heard that as well. My Mom would really get upset if say a chimney swift would get out of the stove while we were cleaning it.
Hubby's Grandmother always says that if a bird flies into the window and tries to get in the house someone is going to die. and just to continue on with that theme you aren't suppose to brush your hair outside because if a bird finds it and builds a nest with it - it is very VERY bad luck.
So if all these tales I have heard are true, I'd be deader than a doornail several times over. I'm from a very superstitious family.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.