CLOSED: Strange bee nest

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

It's stuck to the underside of the window frame and to the house, is 7 inches long overall with the bulbous part of the nest being about 2 inches wide and 2 inches high. A black and white insect about the size of a bumblebee flew to it, went inside and a couple of minutes later flew away. The nest is made of paper pulp. Above the bulbous part it has a separate little roof for rain protection. Anybody ever see anything like it? I never have. What insect made it?

Thumbnail by MaryE
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Another view showing the rain roof.

Thumbnail by MaryE
Tillamook, OR(Zone 8b)

We have those here but much smaller since we get rid of them as soon as we find one, I'm pretty sure it's a hornet's nest, at least that's what they are here, and they are terrible about stinging if you disturb them at all so be careful!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

In the past I have seen something similiar but without the tube, and the occupants were smaller and yellow and black.

Northern, AR(Zone 6b)

Hornets make this type of hive, I do not know what Spiece this is , The finished hive will be 'football' shaped, a bit larger at the top.I do know that their very agresive, BE CAREFUL.

Longview, TX

Contact your local agriculture extension agent. I would be very careful as well till you identify it.
Kelly

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

I believe that it could be a White Faced Hornet (Dolichovespula maculata) nest. Sometimes they build a long entrance tube on their nests (dunno why). They are called Hornets but are closer related to Yellowjackets than to real Hornets.
Usually they only get aggressive if they feel threatened, e.g if you would knock on their nests or if swatted at but otherwise leave you alone. One thing to remember is that they prey on other insects like flies so actually are beneficial.

http://www.cirrusimage.com/Bald-faced_hornet.htm

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

My county extension agent pretty much confirms that it is either a hornet or some type of wasp. I'm going to email photos to her for her file and possible use in a future newsletter. If the nest does not get destroyed by the wind I will take it down this fall and give it to her for her collection. I may spray wasp killer up the tube, still thinking about that, but if it is a baldfaced hornet I think I will eliminate it, had too many stings from those in the past. Thanks for your help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.