moving crape myrtle

Foley, AL

I need to move some crape myrtle I know to do it in winter but how far away from the tree trunk show I go. They say the tree is old and it is about 16-20 ft tall and it is a seeding type.... and it looks like over the years the seedlings have jointed with the tree. I am having to move it for a new house. what I am wondering if I should rent a spade? or cut it down? could I do this with some help? I can rap my arms around it and I am not able to come close to tuch my hands...and I am a big boy... they must have a nice root system cause I never seen them blown down.

ely

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

as far as the root system they arent as good as you think. we just hada doozy of a storm and they( crepe mrytles ) were down all over the place. from what i saw the root system is not very deep or wide on these.

i have never grown them and have wanted too but after seeing so many down after a storm of winds i am rethinking this.

as far as moving it i would say you would have to dig twice the size of the tree around it to get enough of the roots. good luck with it. and try to go as deep as you can.

since its so big it might be a task to do. try to get all the root ball as much as you can. try looking up transplanting crepe myrtles. i came across a few sites. good luck

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Not to be pessimistic, but....we removed a fairly large CM three years ago. It took three grown men, a teenage boy, two mattocks, a pick-axe, numerous shovels, and finally a come-along hitched to our half-ton chevy pickup to get the main rootball out. I'm still digging up sprouts from spring till fall.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Or you could use a pick-up truck and a heavy chain?
We moved 2 of them that way about 5 years ago. We put the chain down low on it, and vroom vroom, and it was out.
We had dug the new holes for them already, so we just plopped them in their new holes, cut them back pretty low, and then watered them in.
I now have 1 growing in the spot where we had pulled one out. Its now just as big as the other 2.
Jen
p.s. I'm beginning to feel like a redneck gardener, lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.