celosia plume

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

hi,
it is my 3rd try trying to grow the celosia. i have the plumes this time and they are doing nothing, so i pinched off the flowers on a couple of them and now i'm waiting again. i have them in full sun. i give them plenty of water. what is the key to growing these? help!!!! i have always bought them in 6 packs at a nursery. thanks debi z & little franklin my gardening doggie

Thumbnail by debi_z
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Bless your heart Debi! Celosia are real heat lovers, and I suspect that it's just too cool up your way. Anyway, you don't want them to form plumes too soon. When you buy your six packs, go ahead right then and remove any plumes to give the plant a chance to develop a root system and grow a bit.

Also, the cooler it is, the less water that they need.

I grow mine from seed - -starting them under grow lights and then transplanting outside in late spring.

Good luck on your next batch, Nat

Thumbnail by nathalyn
Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

debi,

I'm in zone 5, and I've never had much luck growing that type of celosia either.

I have found one that is doing great for me. I started it from seed and it germinated very easily too. I grew it inside under a shop light .......... no greenhouse.

It's called Pink Candles. I've seen it called Flamingo Feathers too, but I grew both and saw some at a greenhouse, and the Flamingo Feathers has red leaves and stems and a darker flower. Maybe you can see those in the background of this picture. They seem to be slower growers.

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

ladies, i deadheaded them all and they seem to be doing a bit better. also, i have a couple of those red leaved ones from my 6 packs. they also had a deep red flower. we'll see how they do over time. live and learn....:)

tree-climber are you going to collect seeds on yours? if so i would like to be put on a list somewhere. :)

thanks for all your help.
debi z and franklin too

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

debi_z

I do plan on collecting seed. You're the first on the list.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks tree-climber, i'll put you in my trade tracker, to remind us both. ;-) debi z and frankling too.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I've never used the trade tracker............... I guess I should figure out how to do that.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

if you have any questions feel free to ask me. i love using it. my memory is soooooo very bad, that it is a real lifesaver sometimes. ;-)
debi z

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Here's a nice one from Parks: Its a cross between the candle type and the coxcomb type...2 feet tall and nice and stocky. HOPE HOPE HOPE it seeds true!

Thumbnail by delphiniumdiva
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

delph i like that one. i'll have to check it out this winter when i have time to look at catalogues again. :-)

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Its a newbie from Parks, and the great thing was, EVERY seed sprouted. I actually threw away I won't say how many jiffy pots of the stuff - had no idea it would turn out this pretty! Also wasn't active in DG at the time! Kick myself everytime I see this one - the cockscombs have gotten much bigger since this pic. A couple are up to 8 inches tall!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

oooh well you'll know for next year. as say...another gardening lesson learned.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.