pine tree trunk

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8a)

Hello,

I have six Mondale pines about 5 years old. Three out of six have double trunks. I didn't know what to do so I didn't do anything...lol.

Until I found this wonderful place, I didn't know who to ask, and what with day to day life, work, drive, sleep, eat, blah blah blah.....Now they are quite large and I am worried about the trunks.

Any suggestions what I should do?

Many Thanks,
Sharon

Thumbnail by stown
Pahrump, NV(Zone 8a)

here's another

Thumbnail by stown
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I see wild pines [names unknown] which are really big that have this oddity.

I've stopped at one nursery in Pahrump and at the cactus plant guy's place twice. second time he never came out and the dog wasn't out to play doorbell. lol He had a texas ranger in bloom that I've never seen since. Nxt yr I went back to see if he had another. Had a good breakfast at Jo's [? I think it was] anyway, unusual town, we liked it.

Too bad if you hae to cut it the sides that brush won't be full.

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8a)

BloomsWithaView:
Thanks for replying. Couldn't get back to the board til now...lol.

Maybe if I pose the question this way:

The three trees with double trunks look almost like they have two leaders, although I admit, each has one that is bigger than the other.

I am concerned that when these trees get bigger they may not be strong enough to withstand the high winds we sometimes get.

But I am also concerned if I cut the smaller trunk off, I might hurt/kill the tree.

If I did cut it, would I need to paint something on the wound?

If anyone has any suggestions I would be more than grateful.

Here's a picture that might show better.

Thanks,
Sharon

Thumbnail by stown

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.