How do i find out about the root system of a tree?

Columbus, OH(Zone 5a)

I need a list of trees whose roots systems grow down, instead of spreading. I live in Ohio with clay soil, a zone 5. Thanks and God bless you

Are you asking for trees with a root system that grows straight down, or are you asking for trees that don't have surface roots? Trees will typically have the bulk of their roots in the top 12-18 inches of soil.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

FYI
We have a maple tree in front of our house that is 60-70' tall. The city came last summer to install new water mains and dug right next to the tree. 95% of the roots were in the top 12" of the soil. Go figure.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't have a list of trees for your specifications, but I did read that Hackberry trees send their roots downward, so they are prime candidates for tight urban sidewalk plantings.
Trish

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

:o( Oh, Paulgrow...I hope your maple makes it! We had a large store go up behind a housing development lately and the people living in the neighborhood are extremely upset with how the company chopped up the roots of the trees lining the narrow strip of woods between their homes and the parking lot. The trees will probably be dead in a few years now. Forgive my bluntness, but sometimes "progress" stinks. Guess I need to get out and smell some roses today!

Columbus, OH(Zone 5a)

thanks all of you for your replies. i will have to remember all that you have said.
God bless you

Powell, TN

I was glad to see your information on Maple trees and how deep the roots grow. My son bought a new house and planted a maple tree in his back yard this spring. His neighbor said it was over the septic tank and he should move it. He says it is really doing well. He did not have any trees in his back yard. I assume from the information above that he is safe with his tree and won't have to move. If I am wrong please email me and let me know so I can pass on the information to him. I really enjoy all of your comments. Gardening is one of my great passions. On this web you are always learning something new. Great ideas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.