need help with delphinium

fort erie, ON(Zone 6a)

I would like to get some could anyone point me to the nicest looking ones I have lots of room ! please help thanks shawn

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

The New Zealand hybrids are superior to the Pacific Giants that are so common. They are studier, more robust and the flowers are much bigger. Delphs are pretty easy to start from seeds. If you start them early they'll prolly bloom the first year but be even better the second year.

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6b)

I ordered my NZ hybirds from Graceful Gardens (see Garden Watchdog) this spring. Great company, received large plants in great condition. They are blooming now. I have grown the Pacific Giants from seed, and they did well also. They are so pretty in the garden. I have mine planted with Graham Thomas yellow roses. Good luck!

Lisa

fort erie, ON(Zone 6a)

hey where is dunirk?????????????? ny

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Hi Ziekertail. I order my delph seeds from Dowdeswell's Delphiniums in New Zealand. They have the New Millenium seeds. Lots of good info on their site too.

https://www.delphinium.co.nz/

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6b)

I know, I know. It irks me that I can't figure out how to change it to Dunkrik, I mean Dunkirk...right up the river and the Lake from you.

fort erie, ON(Zone 6a)

thats what I thought I will be in dunkirk in the next couple of weeks for the ameri-can walleye tourniment It is a fun place ,

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Iwkbriggs, to change your location (spelling) go to "preferences" ....click on "Location"....and change what you'd like.
The "prefrence" tab is located to the right of your screen under "ABOUT YOU"

edited for spelling (I misspelled "spelling"....uuuggggg)

This message was edited Jun 29, 2004 7:41 PM

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6b)

ziekertail, look us up on Whiskey Tango (sailboat) at the Dunkirk Yacht Club.
Lisa

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks rikerbear, thats been bugging me for a while.
Lisa

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Your welcome Lisa :-)

Marc
RikerBear

fort erie, ON(Zone 6a)

Is there only one yacht club?

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes, just one yacht club. It's West of the pier. The Chadwick Bay Marina, where most the tournaments are usually held, is east of the pier. Our boat is still in the yard there, and going in the water tomorrow (I hope). Hope to see you.

Lisa

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I purchased some English Delps from Jackson & Perkins last year and they are the best I've grown to date

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose
fort erie, ON(Zone 6a)

wow how tall Cottage_Rose_Z5

they are 5-6 ft.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

CottageRose, do your delphs come back reliably? I have a bed of geraniums(red) and delphiniums(blue) from the poem, but I have to replace delphs every year. Two years seems to be the max for me. Suggestions?

Sorry not sure on these as I just got them last year.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Poppysue you are like a god to me but I LIKE the Pacific Giant Summer Skies! Got mine from Bluestone Perennials - I plant in fall and of course only get one year down here. But what a year! 6 feet tall easy, assuming massively rich soil, soaker hose on timer, perfect morning sun, constant staking, unbearable worry every time there's a wind...

Course, can't say I've ever tried the others...like to try seeds one day.

Thumbnail by delphiniumdiva
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Do delphs need to be staked? I get very strong winds here from mid-late spring and my full sun areas all are in this windy zone. Would I be sorry to try delphs in these areas?

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Staked? Delphs? Only about as much as your average vampire! Delphs are the queen of stakes, the plants that keep the stake people in business! Mine were in an area sheltered on three sides by large shrubs and a cypress - still didn't matter. Ya gotta stake. So if you decide you still want to try them, and who wouldn't...

Delph Staking 101: The fun part is that if you use wire or anything hard to hook them to the stake the wire will cut through the flower stalks when the wind picks up - they will break off right where they are attached to the stake. You can't have any play at all in the system or the flowers will beat themselves to pieces against the stake. I learned this the hard way - sob! The best thing I've found is tall thin green bamboo stakes, which don't show too badly, and that green velcro tape stuff - just keep putting loops snugly around the stalk as it grows and don't neglect the flower heads - they need a loop around the middle or sometimes two or they will break under their own weight the first time it rains. Lowes carries the velcro tape in the garden section. Put the stakes in when you plant them so you don't damage the roots, and get tall ones..these babies frow high! This applies to all the tall delph types, not the Magic Fountains, which are designed to be stockier to avoid staking. Class dismissed, quiz on Tuesday...hope you go for it!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

So......Magic Fountains gets to be how tall? Magic Fountains requires no staking from personal experience or just advertised features?

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

OK you got me - I stake those too! They get to be about 2 1/2 feet, but at $3 each around here as an annual - I stake em!

Avis, PA(Zone 6a)

hi, just had to jump in here...old cut up pantyhose are great for tying plants to stakes. They're soft, have just enough stretch to let the stem move a little bit, and you can't really see them. Plus they're cheap!

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Really great to know I'm not the only one with flowerbeds full of old stockings! Dad used to steal Mom's hose for this very reason. Mom now has a spot she puts old hose with runs just for Dad to use in the garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.