Dutchman Pipe Vine seeds

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

I need advice on how to srart these seeds. Do I soak them?
Can I start them in Rockwool or would soil be better? How many seeds to a container? I know I seem Duh! about these, but I really want to grow this vine.Thanks for ANY help!! Melba

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

Gagalin,
I have tried to sow these seeds and have had no luck both times I tried it. I have since learned that the seeds need to be very fresh. It is an awsome plant. I can understand why you would want it. I finally went out and bought one. (Pretty large I might add.) I have air layered it in multiple places and they quickly took root. I could air layer again if you might be interested in trades. It took a little over two weeks. Let me know. You can follow the thread/link I have included here if you think you might be interested. This link will give you an idea of what I'm looking for.

http://davesgarden.com/t/438685/

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

Bug, thanks for the reply. I am going to try these seeds,(received from another DG'er. If they don't germinate, I would be interested in furture rooted cuttings from you.
I was at Lowe's in Vero a coupla months ago, & they had awesome Pitcher plants for $18.99. I was so mad at myself for not buying it then! Went back next week, they were all gone!I have only been in Fl for 2&1/2 years, so I'm trying to slowly add to my tropical plants.Gardening here is Much different from NE,Ga!Thanks again, Melba

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

A couple of years ago I spent a lot of time and effort trying to grow some Aristolochia seeds and only succeeded in a single germination out of about a dozen.

My best suggestion is to start them off in the warm for about six weeks, then move them to the fridge for a few months and gently bring them into the warm.

Some species in the genus need light to germinate, so bear that in mind.

Are the seeds thick, flat and 'corky'?

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

cinemike, the seeds are small, flat, but not corky. I'm going to try them in Rockwool & Seed soil. Will post a pic of the seeds later, have to go grocery shopping now. thanks for the reply. Melba

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Do you know which species exactly it is... A. elegans, which is tender, or one of the more hardy ones?

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't know what species these are. Got a coupla pics of the seed.

Thumbnail by Melba_Ga
Gilmer, TX

Glad I found this thread so I can ask my dumb question. LOL Where are the seeds. I have two that are suppose to be giant and one dwarf. Both have bloomed and I have looked for seeds, but found nothing. Am I over anxious? If I wait will they come? I hadn't thought about air layering a skinny vine. I've only tried that with a woody plant. Thanks for any pointers. Pam

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

Catlady,
Mine were airlayered at the woody part of the vine. I'll have to try the green part of the vine here shortly. I also know/have read that you can take cuttings from green wood during the fall. Not too far away. Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.