Refeshed by Mother Ocean

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Human souls are mended...

Looking west into the reflected sunrise we cast off for Three Rooker Bar

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Looking behind us the sunrise was lovely. A flock of Cormorant are seen in this view

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

When we got to the island I tossed the bow anchor and went overboard to secure it on the beach. My first view was of this beautiful little starfish

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Designated an environmentally sensitive area as well as shorebird nesting habitat most of the island is protected.
This is a Laughing Gull perched atop the signs, laughing!

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

As we walked the beach we noticed the only footprints on the island were made by the inhabitants

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

There was a large Black Skimmer colony. These Skimmers nest directly on the ground in little hollows.
You can see the lower beak is much longer than the top. These birds actually skim beak first along the surface of the water to catch fish.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Black Skimmer nest and eggs...can't wait to see the chicks in a few weeks

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Royal Terns nest across the lagoon from the Skimmers. These were quite a distance from where we were. You can see the chicks amongst the adults

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Laughing Gulls...very protective...probably because they steal chicks of all kinds including other gull chicks
I love the 'expression' on the adults face

Thumbnail by Floridian
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

This is so beautiful!!! It makes up for all the snake threads.LOL
Pati

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Aren't the chicks cute, all mottled like this?

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Sentry duty..

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This looks like a seagull baby in the tern colony. The little dark chick in the back is not a tern though the adults don't seem to mind.
The cacaphony of the birds all calling was incredible...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A Ghost Crab burrow. They feed mostly at night and stay in their burrows during the day

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Florida Fighting Conch waiting for the tide to turn...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The shelling is wonderful on our uninhabited barrier islands...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

One of my childhood favorites. As children we called these Baby's Foot but they are more commonly known as Jingle shells. They are about the size of a nickel and the colors vary mostly in shades of silver, black and gray but gold ones are not uncommon

Thumbnail by Floridian
Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

Thank you Flordian for a beautiful series of pictures.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Just got home from work. My feet hurt...alot! I am dog tired.
But the first thing I clicked on was your pictures. It's like a little vacation.

Thank you Floridian. Ahhhhhhh....

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Pati! No snakes on the island that I saw. Otherwise...
Thank you Ken, I'll be posting more pictures in another post (or two). This place is so incredible. It is part of the park system so hopefuly will be forever protected.
Ceceoh, Glad you enjoyed your mini vacation, dip your poor feet in the cool water. We swam for hours!

Alpharetta, GA

What great pictures!!! I moved from Florida over 5 years ago and the one thing I miss most are the sunsets on the beach! Thanks for the mini vacation!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Ahhhh, what a wonderful retreat from the everyday world! Those eggs look like cow eggs!

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

Reminds me of when I lived on St. George Island! Each year the birds nest along the causeway..was so very sad to see all the roadkill. I haven't been back in over a year. Hopefully the new bridge has helped with the nesting. Hey weeds....how about a day trip!? when Bill is home of course to dog sit. LOL

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey you two...how about a weekend trip??

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Floridian, be careful what you ask for, you just might get it!

Ginger, sounds good to me, I love that isalnd.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Ginger, guess who was at my house this morning! What a nice guy he is and I am getting my roof.....thank you thank you!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Great pictures! There is a lot to see there. So little time

Trois

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Trois...by the way how do pronounce Trois?
Weeds, does that mean if I wish really hard y'all will come down here??

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

It is not French for three. It rymes with Lois.

Trois

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Lovely photos!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, Stacey...Those are just beautiful. I know how much you enjoyed taking them, and that sense of wonder came through. :)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm so glad you could sense it Kimberley...this is indeed an awesome place to visit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.