Pyrenean hyacinth

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

On my first trip into the Pyrenees I came across this delightfully dainty hyacinth, Hyacinthus amethystinus, endemic to these mountains.
We also found some Lesser Butterfly Orchids and exquisite high alpines, but my camera battery died :(

Thumbnail by philomel
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

What a cute Hyacinth! I like this dainty little flower like bell:) Thank you for sharing such a rare plant as this. I love alpine plants so I'm sorry about your barrery. You'll get another chance. At that time, please post more pics!

I'm so lucky to live so close to the mountains - I must make sure I don't get too sidetracked and go up again soon - with TWO batteries!!

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

What a pretty plant! Yes, my battery dies occasionally too. I've been known to dive into a chemist or newsagent and grab just any old ordinary battery just to get the last few pictures.

Unfortunately they're special Nikon rechargeables, nothing else fits
I have 2, but this time I forgot to take the spare
Mind you, I'd not have been able to buy a battery up there anyway LOL

I love seeing your photos, so remember your spare set :)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

what philomel, no battery stores to be found in the back country?

LOL Blooms - but I wouldn't buy a new one anyway - they're EXPENSIVE
Just have to train my brain to remember to:
a) charge the spare one so it's always ready
b) take the spare one with me
;)

I hope to go again soon.....

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Oh, what beauties, Phil... were they fragrant? I love to visit mountain hikes through the eyes of those who have the stamina I do not. My son often takes my digital camera with him on his hikes up our local mountains, and it is such a treat to download them and see where he has been!

They had a slight scent, to go with the delicate flowers I suppose LOL
We're lucky that some of the roads go quite high, so there's a lot of wildlife within easy reach, though you need Shanks's pony to really get to the very best.
I'll remember to get pics of more next time. If I'd had a battery I might even have got a photo of a marmot, though they weren't probably close enough for a good shot.
Some of the little cushiony alpines were really cute - very attractive!
I always fancied having an alpine house to grow these little gems, but won't do so now. It's far too hot for them down in the lower parts where I live, and I'm so lucky now to have the real thing on my doorstep.
Having seen them growing in the wild I think potted ones would never match them....
I'll be happy to bring them back down just as photos

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

philomel... First, I missed wishing you a happy birthday, so here it is, belated!

Second, I love the photos but the reminder about batteries was just as good! I have a second battery for my Sony Mavica but don't even know where it is. Must locate it! Also must buy another memory stick.

Third... I haven't heard your term "Shank's pony" although I know what it means. Around here the oldtimers say "Shank's Mare" and my grandfather used that expression all the time.

Thanks darius
Isn't it strange how phrases vary like that? It must come from the same root originally I suppose

Please forgive my ignorance of states geography - where is "Back of Beyond, NC"?

LOL, Philomel.. it's a joke because I live so far from anywhere! Actually, I'm way down in the SW toe of NC, close to Georgia, and TN.

LOL Darius - you didn't fathom the depths of my ignorance. Not sure what NC is - North Carolina? TN - Tennessee??
I'm heading for my atlas *G*

Yes, NC is North Carolina, and TN is Tennessee.

Good thing you didn't ask me where countries are in Europe, although I have some clues from school geography classes!

Well do come and sample the place first hand if you ever can:)

I went up into the Pyrenees again the other day and the flowers and butterflies were just amazing!! The flowers are different to the ones when I went before, but even more of them. The irises were superb - and something I hadn't expected. Butterflies everywhere, some of them huge orange fritillaries.

Closer to home, the fields of sunflowers are just getting into full swing. They're incredible, particularly when the sun shines through the yellow petals to contrast with the darker central disc. Will try and post some photos when I get time - have a friend staying at the moment...

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Philomel, we'll be waiting here on this side of the Atlantic for your latest pics.
Reading the thread thru again has inspired me to go to 'my' mountains today. The dog will be glad of a creek to play in and I'm sure to see some wildflowers along the way. It's too hot to go deserting, even the river beaches will be too warm for me.

I _will remember to get my spare Mavica battery from its charger... twice so far I have left it behind. Annoyed myself. Hate it when I'm so absent minded that it spoils my own fun. LOL

Do hope you enjoyed your day out Blooms, It feels very special that this thread might have inspired it :)

I got round to a sunflower pic or two http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/447718/
...and here's a local spot for a great meal out http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/447721/

At the moment we have the day flying Jersey Tiger Moth in the garden :D
http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&q=Jersey+Tiger
Quite gorgeous when they're flying - you see the orange underwings well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.