Snapdragons aren't growing!

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

This is my first year growing snapdragons and they aren't doing anything. I grew them from seed, sown indoors in February. They've been outside now for about 2 months and the tallest of them is only 4 inches. They are supposed to grow to 24 inches! No blooms, or buds, or nothing. They are in potting soil and mulch--is that too rich for them? Any ideas about why they aren't doing anything?

Claire

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

For me snapdragons do best in cooler weather, with a fair amount of filtered shade/sun.
Where do you have yours planted?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Mine grow just about anywhere - but seem to like my sandy garden the best, if that helps. They get full sun there too, but I know they grow well in partial sun as well. Mine re-seed themselves each year, so I have to pull them and transplant them every year, because usually they find unsuitable places (like sidewalk cracks, etc....) to grow in.

Brattleboro, VT

Karrie - I was going to ask if they reseed because I didn't plant any this year and I've got them. Only about 6 to 10 inches tall, but I have blooms. I've had them other years, but they've never returned before. And, it was a very hard winter so I'm surprised.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

We had a very bad cold spell as well, from Christmas to the beginning of January and mine came back. Maybe the seeds like to be cold stratified?????

They've just developed some buds and they are a tiny bit taller now. I'm thinking they don't like the soil (I'll try sandy soil next time) and maybe they aren't the 24'' variety like the seed package stated. My hollyhocks are different from what was on the package, also.

Thanks for the input. Rikerbear and Karrie, joanvt mentioned having blooms already...are yours blooming also?

Claire

Forgot to add "I'm just wondering if I'm overly anxious, or if mine really should be blooming by now."

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine have been blooming since early May....best of luck with yours

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Mine are just getting ready to bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.