Sick Hydrangea

Grand Blanc, MI(Zone 5b)

I am new to the site, but I have a semi-urgent question: my one year old, oak leaf hydrangea is wilting. It did fine last summer, made it through a difficult Michigan winter, budded and leafed out nicely, set flower buds and now droop--big time drooping. It is on the west side of the yard, shaded by the neighbors maple tree. It is on the lower level of a two level, stone bordered garden. Too much rain? Too much heat from the stones behind it? It has been very rainy and very hot here. What, if anything can I do? Thanks for any ideas.

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

JJBS just came upon this thread. Sorry no one has answered your question. I'm not sure if I can help or not. I have tons of hydrangeas and my experience is that they need water when wilted. They do not like the western sunlight unless protected, but it sounds like that is what you have. The oakleaf hydrangea likes more sun than the mac. Maybe since it has gotten larger this year it is not getting enough water or it could be a bacterial wilt. Is it wilted all the time or just in the evening? That would be a clue. If it is bacterial wilt your plant is probably dead by now. If it is wilting in the evening but coming back by morning it might need a little more water because of the heat. Many hydrangeas wilt in the evening if the sun is hitting them even though they have plenty of water. The hydrangea just doesn't absorb it fast enough. LMK how it is doing as I am interested in this problem. Jenny

Grand Blanc, MI(Zone 5b)

Tonight we pulled the hydrangea out and put it in a "sick bed" with a little more sun, and a little less water. We have had so much rain this year, and in it's old location, at times we had almost a spring effect because the yard next door sits about two feet higher, and once the tree leafs out it got hardly any sun. We cut it back--severely. The droop was not just in the evening. The stems were still bendable, and it looks like some green at the cut. Anyway, it was a last ditch effort--we had nothing to lose. This is our first attempt at hydrangeas so we are still guessing and learning. What does bacterial wilt look like--other than the wilt? Is it catchy? Thanks for your help.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I have no advice but am interested in this problem and the solution. Staying tuned.

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

If it were bacterial wilt it would already be dead. Maybe something wrong with where it was planted. I just don't know. Can't be too much heat because my hydrangeas are in 90 plus from April till Oct. and don't droop all day. They only droop in the evening if they get direct sun but recover quickly once the sun goes down. Usually hydrangeas love water. Mine are on soaker hoses which go constantly. Of course I don't have the Oakleaf hydrangea (in fact I have heard they are much easier than the macrophella to grow). Supposedly they like much more sun than the Mac. You have done the right thing moving it. But don't withhold water while it is setting in. Maybe it was the stones (could be something leaching out into the soil?) And again you may never know, but don't give up on hydrangeas as they are easy and oh so beautiful. For your zone try one of the panicle hydrangeas such as Brussels Lace Pee
Gee , Limelight (lime green blooms), Pink Diamond (blooms start white then flush pink and a dark rose, and in autumn a dark wine color. I do have a cutting that I have started of the paniculata Tardiva if you would like it. I traded for itl a while back and have it rooting now. I've already got mine planted. It likes more sun than regular hydrangeas and I've heard it will grow from zone 3 to 8 so I'm giving it a try. Sorry I have not been able to help you more. LMK if you want the Tardiva. Jenny

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.