Looking for the impossible-to-find, but maybe someone knows

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

I have seen several photos, posted on this site, that simply took my breath away.

Of course I did an immediate and exhaustive Internet search for sources where I could purchase plants (I have NO luck with seeds).

I was wondering if anyone has come across online sources for these new introductions? I found a VERY few, but they were strictly wholesale.

Here is a new portulaca in the Fairytales series, 'Cinderella' -- Paulwhwest had posted this photo:

http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/44632/

And the nasturtium, 'Milkmaid' was posted by eje:

http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/43671/

I did find (and ordered) seeds for the Milkmaid nasturtium, but I don't hold any hope because I have NEVER had any luck at all at starting seeds, so I always look for plants first.

And below is a picture from an eBay auction for Commelina coelestis. The Seller was in Great Britain and does not ship to the United States. I know that it is a spiderwort, but have not found any sources in the U.S. for this particular cultivar.

Just checking around, because you never know.... someone, somewhere, MAY know. Thanks!

Jean

Thumbnail by LouisianaSweetPea
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Nasturtium are quite easy to start from seed. I usually soak the seeds overnight first. They have a root system similar to a sweet pea and they can be easily damaged, so best to plant them where you want them and not transplant.

Thanks again Weezin -- I've just received the nasturtium seeds and was wondering how to start them (no instructions on the seed packet).

They don't like "hot" I am supposing, and am also wondering if I should start them now and place the transplants in the garden, or wait until next Spring. Any suggestions?

Jean

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Seward has a short, cool season, so we plant ours outdoors as soon as the threat of frost has passed. I start mine indoors in little paper pots so that I can gently unwrap them later for transplanting. (The roots will grow into peat pots, so I don't recommend them). Though I start them early, they still don't bloom until late July or August. (It never gets above the mid 70's here).

I'm not sure how happy these little guys will be in very hot weather. I'm geography impaired, so I don't know what your seasons are like... that is, whether you have an actual winter. They may be a winter, fall or early spring plant for you.

Here is a link I found: http://www.i-55.com/lan/misshome011.html

If you bought the Milkmaids, they probably didn't give you many seeds, since they are 'hot' right now. If you got a sufficient amount, however, you might try planting a few now and saving the rest for later.

By the way, I usually plant mine so that they can cascade down out a hanging basket or a porch planter. Bush varieties are also nice in the fronts of beds. I'm not sure which type the Milkmaid is.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

I've had no luck with nasturtiums here, but you can't really go by that, 'cause I've had no luck with sweet peas, either . . . it gets so hot so fast here . . . *sigh*

After years of trying I'm ready to give up on both. So my last effort will be to throw out some seeds this winter and hope for the best. After that, I quit.
*pout*

LOL

Good luck with yours, LSP!

Cheri'

It never gets above the mid-70's there???

I'M MOVING!!!

Seasons? Temps here hit the 90's by the end of April. Then a loooong hot, steamy summer, one or two days of "Fall," and then winter comes.... I think it is to be on a Tuesday this year, between the hours of 1:00 and 5:00 PM. Then back to summer again (onlyl interrupted by the occasional hurricane). LOL.

These are definitely going to require a little shade. One article said that Milkmaid gets 12 inches tall and has a creeping habit. Not too much information out there yet.

Thanks for the link. I want to check out their past articles too.

Jean

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Jean, I bought some of the Cinderella portulaca while visiting in Georgia. It is beautiful and I plan to save seed if at all possible. While there are no guarantees that it will come back true from seed, I would certainly be willing to share whatever seed I am able to save. Nat

What a kind and generous offer! Thank you!

Jean

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

Jean,

The MilkMaid Nasturtiums are medium big bushing creeping sort. They don't really climb, though they will extend up into a bush if it is handy.

We don't really get too much frost, so I find I have the best luck starting Nasturtiums in the winter. I usually direct seed plant them in January. Can you start them outdoors after your last frost? Though, if you think it will get too hot, too soon, maybe it would be good to start them in peat pots a couple weeks before your last frost.

They will definitely do best with morning sun, afternoon shade and plenty of water.

Here is a picture of some I have growing in a wine barrel (which I need to repaint) in front of my house. We've had a lot of heat, the children have vandalized, and the bugs have been chewing these guys, so they are a little past their prime. I'm not sure how many plants are in there; but, I think it is 2 or three.

Erik

Thumbnail by eje
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Erik, this photo really exemplifies the Milkmaid growing habit. Why not add it to the PDB entry?

I've always loved nasturtiums but have never grown them. I received the 'Milkmaid' seeds and yes Erik, I think it is a good idea to hold them for starting at a cooler time.

I think the 'Milkmaid' cultivar is particularly pretty, and yours are growing beautifully! A nice complement to the green shrub.

Weezigreens...

I will try to remember to post it tomorrow.

Do you save seeds from Nasturtiums?

At what point should you harvest them?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Our nasturtium bloom in late summer, so I don't allow them to dry on the vine. Besides, I think they would fall off the vine, if I did wait. I generally wait until they are large and green, harvest them, then put them on a rack to air dry in the house. It takes quite awhile for them to dry out completely.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens

That's what I thought. It always seemed like they fell off when they were still green to me.

Will give it a try this year.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've planted seeds I've dried, and they germinated. The Alaskas even come back variegated. Good luck.

I had planted some Alaskas in the wine barrels with the Milkmaids; but, they didn't do as well. They kind of got overrun.

Actually, I've tried planting other nasturtiums in there with them a couple times now and none of the others I've seeded have done as well.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Alaska is a bush type, so the trailing types can overtake them. Trailers tend to have larger leaves that obscure all else. Another interesting variety is Mahogany. The nicest I found were Tip Top Mahogany. The flowers were a deep rust red and the leaves were chartreuse yellow. Here are some of the mahoganies growing on top of whiskey barrels... nice contrast.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens

That's a good tip, Weezin. And thanks for showing the picture.... I wouldn't have even known where to look for the seed pod!

Wow, those flowers in the last picture are so big and healthy! Beautiful.

Jean

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Nasties love our moist, cool summers. Glad I was of help.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Sweetpea you are coing to kill me but I just threw away three Cinderellas!

They were very disappointing - flowers only a bit over half an inch across - looked like a weed. Nothing like the label photo. I'll check my trash pile if you still want them - with all this rain, prob. still alive.

BTW i have a terrible time with Nasties - if I plant early a late frost always gets em, if I wait then the heat kills them right as they peak. If I plant in the fall, they just sprout and then sit there looking sad. Let me know what works for you. My Gmother grew them with ease but I don't know her secret. I do know hers were mostly in shade.

Weezingreens...

Thanks for the heads up on the Mahogany variety. I will keep an eye out for them.

I've tried and liked Empress of India; but, they aren't as sun tolerant as Milkmaids. Also more of a smaller bushing variety.

Nasturtiums love our cool wet winters and mild springs. They usually start looking pretty ratty in June and July when it gets dry and the days are long. Pretty soon, I will pull them out and plant Calendula.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Here's interesting info on tropaeolum diseases: http://www.msue.msu.edu/imp/modzz/00001479.html

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modzz/00001478.html

Liz, if YOU don't go look in your trash, the I will! LOL. Did you buy them locally? I think I have a lead on ordering some.

Nasturtiums probably don't grow well here. For the Milkmaids, though, I've got to give it a try -- and they will definitely be in a shaded area.

I wish my grandmother was still around too. She had so much knowledge about growing things. Unfortunately, at the time (I was a little kid), I didn't pay attention.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

If you like that colour of nasturtium, you can get the seeds of this very nice dwarf variety from Chiltern Seeds (http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chilternseeds/pages/moreinfo.asp?Recordid=BFBEEEA)
Pic is of my current windowbox.

Amusing anecdote... neighbours down the road obviously saw my nasturtium window boxes last year and liked them. They decided to have nasturtiums in their wbs this year... but they had standard Tropaeolum majus plants, which grow here to around 5 feet... The window boxes look like they have been invaded by an alien species... ;o)

Thumbnail by cinemike
Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I start my nasturtiums in peat pots on my porch, themplant the whole pot and all. This allowed me to start them earlier. I have tried to grow them for the last couple of years and each year, they get a little better, so don't give up. This is the best year so far. I need to start saving the seeds!

Cinemike, thanks for letting us know. Your window-box looks great. I wasn't aware that there was a dwarf variety. Even better! It must have been funny to see your neighbor's window-boxes with 'beards.' LOL.

Gardengirl, thanks for the tip. Sounds like a good idea!

Jean

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Sorry Sweatpea - no go on the Cinderellas and the nursery is all out. Hope you find em some where!

Thanks for looking Liz!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Yeah well you owe me big b/c while I was "just stopping by the nursery for a minute to check for LSP's portulacas" I was suckered into buying $40 worth of other plants! Including a fantastically gorgeous medinilla m. which I have no idea how to take care of! If it dies I've decided to blame you. AND now I have to go back again today b/c they had Variegated Jewels of Opar which I've never seen before and have decided I must have since I dreamed about it all night. See what you got me into? All for a couple lousy portulacas...:^)

LOL. Uh-huh. Just dropped by the nursery for MY portulacas, huh? And then the Plant-Buying Monster got hold of you! What a story! Did DH buy it? :D

If the variegated Jewels of Opar are no longer there, I noticed some on eBay and also, a couple of weeks ago, in one of our Member's Scif Stores. (It might have been MollyMc's store).

I have the regular Jewels of Opar, purchased online earlier this year. I received a small plant, but it has grown nicely and produces the prettiest little blossoms. I love this plant!

Thumbnail by LouisianaSweetPea
Yazoo City, MS(Zone 7b)

Jean, can't you root portulaca from cuttings? I think that the one you are looking for is hanging on my deck, and if it will root, I can either root you some or send you some pinches and let you root them. LMK!
Yvonne

Yvonne, What a sweet thing to do! You have mail.

Jean

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

LSP - my hubby is out of town and doesn't know the story yet. I live in fear.

I got the Jewels - nice big gallon plant for only $5. Be making cuttings soon. Your reg.one looks diff. from mine. Mine looks like a weed. Seeds like one too. Also picked up a nice angelwing b.

Think my Cinderellas had issues - soil in that area must be missing something b/c everything planted there was stunted. Hope they do better for you.

My Jewels of Opar would probably look healthier and bushier if I bothered to trim the tops once in a while, but the little flowers are so cute, I just leave them alone.

Did you find the gallon-sized plant at a nursery in Metairie? Looks like there are some good nurseries in that area. I've always wanted to stop at Perino's but, for some reason, was always in a hurry and never have.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

First, I found the Jewels at Bantings in Westwego. Perinos has some really nice plants, lastest thing from Monrovia etc, but at really high prices.

Second, I spent the whole Tues morning chat ribbing Moodene about almost getting a divorce over those portulacas and forgot that it was YOU who wanted them! Just goes to show two things: Life aint fair and boy am I stupid!!!

I am stunned! You came away from Banting's with only TWO plants? You must be a SAINT!

Every time I leave Banting's, I get embarrassed driving home because I get so many stares. My little Honda Prelude is so stuffed to the gills with plants that all one can see is green stuff in all of the windows and tall green stuff poking throught the sun roof. There is barely room for me and my purse, and I have to part the leaves to see out the passenger-side window. The tall trees and greenery poking out of the sun roof always gets smiles. LOL.

When anyone tells me that whatever-I-am-buying will not fit into my car, I just thell them that they don't know how to pack a car. The last thing I brought home in my little car was a 15+-foot tree in a BIG 40-gallon container. The guy at the nursery kept telling me, "Lady, you're not going to get that in your car." I opened the sun roof and told him that if he and his helpers could lift it sideways through the door and through the sun roof and place it on the seat, it would fit. And it did.

I tried to control myself and didn't go to Banting's this year, but I still feel them calling to me..... LOL.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Ah, but how OFTEN do you go...that is the question! The place is mere minutes from my house, a continual temptation!

HaHa about the car! I have gotten some stares when people look into my Ford Explorer and see that there are three children hidden under all the greenery! I just tell em "hold up the branches so you can breathe, and don't let your sister eat any leaves!"

Priceless!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.