Please recommend a nice daisy

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

I've never grown daisies before. In browsing various catalogs and auctions, I'm getting confused (not hard to confuse me though - LOL).

I am looking for a few daisy plants that are rather short (two feet or under), and have nice, fat, white petals and a nice, bright-yellow center?

Can anyone recommend a nice daisy for the south? Thanks!

Jean

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

i grow about 4 different kinds of white-petalled daisies and shastas are definitely my favorite

Thanks handhelpers! I was kind-of leaning to the shasta.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I think shastas are the only ones I have but I love them. Very sturdy and blooms last for days.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I agree - shasta are the only choice.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

My Shasta Daisies got to be over 3 feet tall. I had to pull them out of my front garden because of it. I replaced it with a White African Daisey - much shorter & sturdier than the Shastas and much better for my front garden.

Edited to say: I just went to the PDB, and for some reason, they have the African Daisies listed for warmer climates. Now I'm confused! I bought this at a local nursery about 3 years ago, and it was done just fine. It is definitely shorter than a Shasta daisy, and has thicker stalks. I'll take a pic of it when it blooms (it's budding right now).

This message was edited Jun 17, 2004 12:28 PM

Thanks to all!

I just purchased some daisy plants on eBay, and the Seller doesn't know if they are Shastas or Alaskas, as they were given to her and are now growing in her garden.

The Seller said that they get "quite tall" (12 to 24 inches) -- which doesn't sound quite tall to me -- sounds about right. But her garden is in Wisconsin. Here in Louisiana, they just might get tall.

I'm happy with my purchase, especially as these plants will be coming from someone else's garden -- not a commercial grower. I hope they survive the trip down here and that they will grow.

Karrie, I'd still like to see a picture of your daisies.

Again, thank you all for your input!

Jean

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

'Alaska' is a cultivar of the shasta daisies. :) They are similar to my 'Becky' shastas that I loooooooooooove...

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I believe there are also dwarf shastas, if you want a shorter plant. I started some 'Little Princess from seed this spring, but they are still too small to tell how they will perform. What ever you do, don't confuse shastas with oxeye daisies. they are quite pretty with very long floppy stems, and they are very, very invasive... nice for a roadside, bad for the garden.

Thanks Weezin -- please let me know how the 'Little Princess' grows for you. And thank you for letting me know the difference in daisy types -- I had been looking at oxeyes because the flower is pretty, but all that is ever shown is JUST the flower, not the floppy stem!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I shouldn't bad mouth the hardy, easy-to-grow oxeye. It is a weed in my yard until it blooms. Then it's a pleasure. When in a large grouping or mixed with other competing plants, it remains fairly upright, but it is an avid re-seeder and has underground runners that could probably choke out clover if it was caught snoozing! LOL! Oxeyes are fine plants, but not in your flower beds, in my opinion.

(Zone 4b)

I was going to recommend Becky. She is stellar

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I've been looking at 'Becky' quite a bit. I've got the Crazy Daisy and I like it's fun appearance. But I think I'll add some Becky next year or this fall.

Is 'Becky' a shorter daisy?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I don't have any but the PDB say 3-4 feet tall.

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/57377/index.html

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

It's about thigh high for me, but I'm only 5'2". lol

Here's a really bad picture I just took. The 2" white daisies are just starting. You can see a handful of them floating above the foliage on the center right next to the sedum Autumn Joy. Or atleast I hope you can. lol

Thumbnail by ecobioangie
Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe this helps...

Thumbnail by ecobioangie
Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

My newest love is the shorter fuller one. I am not sure of the name I have heard crazy daisy and a couple other names.

It is only 12 to 15 inches high and the blooms are wonderful and as long lasting as the shastas. I have not had to stake them at all to keep them upright.

This is a plant that is now 2 years old and the blooms this year are twice as nice as the ones I had last year.

Thumbnail by aknapp
Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I love that frilliness. I can just imagine that next to an echinacea purpura 'Razzamatazz'... :)

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Maybe we can work out a trade, I would love to have razzamatazz does it come true from seed?
I really love the frilliness too.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

aknapp, that crazy daisy looks like an illustration from one of Seuss's books. A whole patch of them would be something to see. Goes in my notebook for next year. No more projects for this year - the unfinished ones will keep me busy astis.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Here's my Crazy Daisies first year so should be better next year.

Thumbnail by langbr
Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Sorry to confuse you aknapp, but I don't have Razzamatazz! I wish I did! lol :)

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Thats okay eco you are still welcome to some seeds if you would like them. We can both dream of having razzamatazz!!!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

If they come true from seed that would be awesome! Send me your addy so I can send SASE. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.