CLOSED: Friend or Foe?

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

I found this on the fence,is it a good or bad bug eggsack??

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I think it's a mantis egg case

I tried to link a pic but it didn't work. Do a Google search for mantis egg case.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2004 4:47 PM

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

This could be interesting,I did a search,I found one that looked like this,I have four of these in the yard,I have three I ordered of the web,they do not look the same,if they are,I am going to have a ton of Mantis in a short time!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is a good photo of a praying mantis egg mass (and praying mantis as well) which looks like dried shaving cream. Click to enlarge it and then minimize it. I love this photo.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

This is one off the Net.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Blenheim, New Zealand

we have them here as well

Thumbnail by bootandall
Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

bootandall,that is a Mantis?

Blenheim, New Zealand

mantis eggs it is

Blenheim, New Zealand

pic of the mantis

Thumbnail by bootandall
Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

The Mantis and Egg sack look slightly different,must be the pond,I will mark it solved,nice picture with the flower and eggsack!

Blenheim, New Zealand

I just took a pic of a hatched egg sack on my fence.
I think there may be a few species.this one here is Orthodera ministralis, and is common in Australia and NZ, may not be native to NZ

Thumbnail by bootandall
Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Ok Bootandall,do you think mine is one from last year?If so I will remove it,mine sure looks like an old one,and I did have Mantis last year.

Blenheim, New Zealand

I have one like that too, I'm not sure if the egg sack is incomplete or some have hatched.
I am leaving mine, as I have noticed they like to lay near the old sacks.
I have watched one hatching, there is no mistaking them ,miniature adults flat out running, once they out.

pic of old and new

Thumbnail by bootandall
Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Great pictures,I have no problem leaving my old ones,it will be interesting to see if they lay fresh ones close,I watch the ones I have hanging,I would like to get pictures of them hatching.

Blenheim, New Zealand

hope you get that picture ,It will be great too see

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Root, if I had seen those things on MY fence, I woulda taken a fly-swatter to them! Or a can of Raid! LOL. (Can you tell I've never seen a mantis in my life? -- Do those things bite?)

Blenheim, New Zealand

they eat a lot of bad insects, and a few good, and the female will eat her mate unless he makes a great escape. (after the deed done of course )

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

I couldn't believe my eyes one am..was outside enjoying my garden and saw what appeared to be yellow foam from a distance, dropping from the underside of a fence board. Up close, this is what I found. There were literally 100's of them hatching from the 2 egg cases. They were about 1/4" or less and perfectly formed-baby praying mantises (sp?)

Thumbnail by jcangemi
Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

great picture, jcangemi!
would it be mantii?
i dunno.. but they sure are cute :)
i'd love to have some in my yard!

Blenheim, New Zealand

aren't they beautiful, great shot. I'm glad you where there at just the right moment.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

I was just doing a Cat Patrol,gave a close look to see who was chewing on this one.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

I found this guy on the Brug!! They are out here now,this is not from my Egg sacks,so he must be a local!!

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

FYI - just read yesterday on a garden page somewhere? one is mantis, more is mantid. Kinda different but that's what they said! What a cool picture of the babies - something I'll never see here. Apparently z4 is too cold for them most winters. Master Gardener guy said if we order them from a catalog, a few will make it over the winter but by the 2nd winter they'll be all gone. Bummer! We do have walking sticks, tho. Had one on the dining room window screen last year. They're kinda neat too!

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Count yourself lucky, as they are clearly a beneficial, and sounds like you'll soon have a good population of them. . . Even with all the egg cases, they won't all make it.. cannabalistic as bootandall indicated. They eat their siblings when they first hatch out, as their first meal. Sounds gruesome!! There's probably alot more around, as they are experts at camoflauge.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

I hope there are more,I need help with the bad bugs.
Kooger,Shirley just got some,she is not far from you.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Shirley? Brugie? She's in the southern part of the state. I am 13 miles from the northern border. Little too chilly for those darlings! :)

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

yes Brugie,I did not know you were that far north.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.