Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

The outlawed loosetrife sneaking up!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

but it IS beautiful

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I agree totally with you!

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

I have some too. And I won't give it up. I have never seen it growing in the wild here. It is a beautiful flower.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I've read pros and cons on loosestrife. When you drive along the 401 in Ontario, there are so many - actually very beautiful to see, just one huge sea after another of vibrant purple. There's some large areas of it in Michigan too that I've seen. They do like more swampy land so we don't get much of it in the wild here in IA. Have also read an article that defends it and says it draws more birds to an area for the seeds so who knows who to believe, but I'm not getting rid of mine!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Me either!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I also have a nice clump of the purple loosestrife and it has never been found coming up any other place. I like it because it has such a long bloom period. Deb, I think I got one of your yellow loosestrife plants at the roundup. Do they grow the same way?

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Brugie: It wasn't my yellow loosestrife. I have the variegated yellow loosestrife. The yellows are not as invasive and are not on the taboo list. My purples have not been invasive at all. I think I have about 4 different varieties of the purple and they are all very well behaved.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Deb. Someone had it there unless I have it mixed up with something else. Guess I'll wait to see it bloom. LOL!

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Shirley: Your right. There was yellow loosestrife at the RU. Can't remember who brought it.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

It is growing well, so next year I should have blooms. Thanks Deb.

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Shirley: Your Welcome anytime.

Here is one clump of Purple Loosestrife that I started from seed several years ago,with Yellow Helianthus behind it. They are soo beautiful.

Thumbnail by Debby
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Debby,please post a pic when the yellow blooms,haven't seen any before ,thanks

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Tropicman: This is the only yellow loosestrife that I have. It's name is 'Alexander' Lysimachia Punctata. I like it because of the variegation. Several years ago, I had the green leaved loosestrife that bloomed yellow and didn't care for it. So it is no longer in my garden.

Thumbnail by Debby
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Flowers are big and pretty,can you grow the varigation in full sun without burning the leaf edges?

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Mine is growing on the eastside of my house. Gets morning sun til about 1:00. I think it could take full sun, pretty sturdy plant. The tag says Full Sun to Part Shade.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,

Adrian, MI(Zone 5b)

We have fields of this in Michigan. I have some at our cottage that was just deposited there. It is very pretty. It's too bad it has become a problem.
Bonnie

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Debby, Thanks for posting 'Alexander.' I bought some this spring for the foliage...had no idea what the flowers looked like.
~julie~

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Julie: I bought it too for the foliage. I am a sucker for variegation.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.