poppies

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

The Somniferums have almost all bloomed out.Some of them are left, and many of the rhoeas are still looking good.This year I didn' find the really deep purples that I had last year.Most are lavender and magenta, still beautiful though.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

some more poppies

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

yet another one P triinifolium behing the Gunnera.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

P triinifolium rosette

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

The bienniel triinifolium does get to be a substantial size and is covered with masses of single orange flowers.Hope the seed will be viable.

Thumbnail by balvenie
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

So pretty. I love poppies. Mine are all gone except for one lonely straggler.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Poppies are so pretty. I hate to admit sometimes I weed them out as they come up in the darndest places.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7a)

My poppies have bloomed and were
fantastic...gone now I did cut them
down, will they come back again
this summer?

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Deller, the annual poppies are finished once they have bloomed and won't come back this year. They will return next spring if you let them go to seed. What colors did you have?

Thanks for answering my
question, but it wasn't the
answer I had hoped for.....
They were sunshine yellow...
so big and healthy...when they
died off, I cut them down so
hopefully they will reseed themselves for next year....
Do you know what other colors
they come in? This is my
first year at gardening and
that poppy was the very first
thing that grew, so that made it
the baby....lol

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Deller, there are so many yellow poppies its hard to say from your description, but generally speaking poppies return from seed produced the previous year if you let the seed pods ripen.Where did you get the seed from originally? If they were the California poppy (eschscholzia) they come in a wonderful array from white to redish and yellows.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Dale, they might be iceland poppies. They are a lovely yellow or orange or white. They grow from basal foliage with a long hairy stem and hairy bud. They are avid self-seeders and will grow in gravel.

Hey Wz
You know you stuff young lady..
as a matter of fact I do think
those darling seeds came from you!!
They were sunshine yellow and
lit up the side of the garage like
flood lights.....was hoping they
would stay for the summer.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Alas, I think they bloom in the spring, then die back in hot country. However, it seems I get blooms later on again. Guess we'll just have to see. They reseed for sure. Is yellow the only color? We should see that you get seeds for the whites and the oranges, as well. http://plantsdatabase.com/go/1062/index.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.