Cleome Tree

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

This plant was a winter experiment. It has been blooming since November. It is quite the tree now. Does anyone know if this is one of the plants that will "perennialize" here in the land of never freeze. If so, how do I care for it? It is beautiful thing. New bloom shoots are still coming out from the trunk.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

This is an annual out East. Perhaps cutting a couple spikes would cause branching & reduce weight to the top. Then it could be a shrub! I have never seen one with so many flowers... what a beauty! Save the seeds for this one...

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

here in massachusetts i get seedlings galore, from the plants i had the year before. from what i understand ours have to be cold stratified (sp?) in order to grow. good luck with yours. she is a beauty and i love the way you are getting all those shoots on the bottom. never seedn that on mine.
what color are your blooms? rose or salmon? it is hard to tell in the pick. i would love some of those seeds if you have a few extra.
thanks debi z

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

It is rose colored. Here is the original post about this plant.

http://davesgarden.com/t/409743/

If this plant needs to be cold stratified, it is in the wrong garden here. Lol. I will indeed be saving seeds on this one.

JRush, I do think I will try deadheading it as soon as I have enough seeds. It is getting a nice sturdy stake tomorrow. The passion vine is trying to climb the poor thing so it needs to be staked forward a bit. (It is currently zip tied to the lath.)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

These come back like weeds every year for me here in zone 5. I pull a lot of them up, but always let a few grow. The kids in my neighborhood call them the plants from outerspace because they get so tall and rather strange looking.

susan

This message was edited Jul 8, 2004 3:59 AM

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Frogs hows the tree going? Any more pics?

BTW cleome comes up like a weed here and we CERTAINLY don't get any cold stratification!!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.