Sending Lavender clippings?

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

A fellow DGer would like some of my lavender, which I would be happy to share if I knew how to do it. Anybody know the specifics on sending lavender clippings? Should they be rooted first and then sent, or rooted after sending? AND, how does one root lavender?

Claire

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Claire,
I just loved the pictures of your lavender! If you're doing cuttings for postage or trade, will you keep me in mind?
Here's the info I got from
http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/faqs/culi-3-6-cuttings.html

Take fairly new stems and pinch out the flower buds. New stems root easier than older, woodier stems. For this reason cuttings are often taken in spring when there are lots of new stems. If your cuttings fail now, try again in spring. The reason I pinch out the buds, is that I want the plant-to-be to concentrate on making roots, not on flowering and setting seed. I cut the stem from the plant just above a leaf pair, and then I cut the stem just below a leaf pair. It may seem wasteful to throw a large portion of the stem in the compost, but it won't grow any roots anyway (or at least not as easily as the part just below the leaves). I also remove the leaves below soil level.

Start by watering the growing medium. I usually water it so that water comes out at the bottom. That means it is fairly wet. Then I level the surface before coming back to the cutting. I use what my local nursery sells as "sowing soil". It is potting soil with 1/3 sand added.

Before I insert the stem into the growing medium, I dip the lower part (the one that will be below the surface) in a rooting hormone. Because you now have the powder on the stem, you can't just push the stem into the growing medium, or you will rub off the powder. Instead you poke a hole into it, and insert the stem. Make sure there is contact between the stem and the growing medium. Then I take a clear polythene bag, cut a few small holes into it and put it over the pot. Place the pots in the shade. Too much sun and heat will dry out the plants before they have formed any roots to take up water with. Rooting usually takes a few weeks.

Oh Eileen! I'm so glad you would like some cuttings because I was thinking of sending you some as a late addition to the secret daylily trade!

After reading the article and the excerpt you posted I'm thinking it would be best to root the clippings before mailing them. Then, a month after rooting has occurred, (about 1 1/2 to 2 months after placing them in rooting medium) they would be ready to plant outdoors and most likely able to withstand a trip across the country. :)

Looks like I'll be making a trip to the nursery for some rooting hormone and sowing soil. I'll keep you posted as to how it's going!

Claire

Danbury, NH(Zone 5b)

Hello
I would love some also.....Please let me know what you would like in trade. I don't have a list of what I have yet, but I have quite a few things to trade.
Thank you
Linda(bilyn)

This message was edited Jun 16, 2004 5:43 PM

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Claire, by the way the daylily you sent me has bloomed! What a beauty - - - and there are several more buds yet to open. Just lovely. Thanks again!

Eileen

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Hope you will excuse the uninvited visit to your thread.I had never thought of starting lavander cuttings, but can make some cuttings of the following if you are interested.
Lavandula augustifolia cv 'Croxton's Wild'

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Then L. stoechas 'Otto Quast'

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Then L.a 'Sarah'

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Also have L.a 'Silver Frost'

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

And lastly there is L.a 'Ashwood Forest'

Thumbnail by balvenie
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

WOW!! Gorgeous..
Could I have cuttings of Otto and Ashwood?

Do you have stuff you need or SASE?

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Daisy, don't need anything, but am a bit in the dark as to packaging since I haven't sent anything but seeds before.Guess I could put cuttings (unrooted) in damp paper shreds,plastic, and insert in padded envelope. If anyone has a suggestion I'd sure appreciate it.If you send your address I'll clip some in the morning.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

That sounds good-
Just make sure that there are leaves that I can strip off before I stick 'em in the rooting hormone. Roots will form there.
I will email you now....

Alright, I'm finally back on planet Earth, and I've got everything I need to send ROOTED CUTTINGS! Yeay! But, after reading balvenie and daisyavenue's posts it looks like the cuttings DON'T NEED TO BE ROOTED BEFORE BEING SENT. Anyone have any experience with this???

Either way, I'm ready to go and will get back to those of you who made requests. Sorry, it's taken me awhile!

Balvenie, I love the color of "Ashwood Forest". Would you like some cuttings of mine in exchange? I'm not sure but I think it's Hidcote "Superior".

Thumbnail by clairelise

Here's another picture of the same lavender.

Thumbnail by clairelise
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

That lavendar from Marysville is awesome, and very welcome in most mid-zone gardens.

The kind I have is mostly zone 5 to 6. And I love mine. It's light and airy and shares that fragrance.

The others I would like to have but know they won't grow here. :( just wish I could have them.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Clairelise, I'd like to experiment with shipping some cuttings and would be happy to try it on ashwood forest if you like. Just send me your address and I'll try to get it out by the end of the week.I think 'superior' has its tag hidden in the foliage so I would already have it.Thank you anyway.robert

Robert, I've got buddleia "Nanho Blue", and Callirhoe if you'd like cuttings from either of those. Just let me know.

Claire

Forgot to mention that I've got a bunch of little lavender cuttings sitting in hormone powder and potting soil mixed with sand. Hope the little ladies don't get cranky with all the hormones flying through their systems.

Claire

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Claire, The callirhoe cuttings would be fun. I only have a couple mallows and they are upright.Don't worry about the hormones,my sweetheart has been on them for years and she is still as sweet and loving as ever. Still need your address. Robert

Glad to know your "sweetheart" does well on her hormones, Robert! LOL And all the little lavenders look like they're responding well, also.

I'll email my address right away...and send me yours in return. Thanks!

Claire

Bilyn, sorry it's taken me so long...but you have mail!

Claire

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

*claps heartly*

I got rooting hormone today! I'll be working on my cuttings as promised.

Ooooh! Tickled pink, Michelle!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have a pic of siberian lavender? I ordered and planted but have no idea how long it takes to mature although the advertisement said very fast. All of your pics have no similarity to the leaves I have and am just wondering if I've received the wrong stuff being this company sent me wrong item when I ordered hummingbird vine. Any help and input would be appreciated! Thanks, Denise

I had never heard of Siberian Lavender and couldn't find it in the Plants Data Base so I did a google search. Here's what I came up with: www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/champaign/homeowners/020216.html

If you want to compare russian sage to what you have: www.plantsdatabase.com/go/733/index.html

Let us know if it matches. If it is russian sage, it's a very pretty and hardy plant, and it does mature faster than lavender. My neighbor planted 3 small plants last year and they are full grown this year.

Claire

This message was edited Jun 27, 2004 5:02 PM

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Googeling ''siberian lavender' brings up a wealth of information, most of which stating the so-called 'siberian lavender' is really nothing more than russian sage, a nice plant, but not lavender.The pic is a 3 year old R sage.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Keep in mind also, that people and pets can be allergic to Russian Sage - I think it might be the pollen, like ragweed & goldenrod.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.