Aristolochia fimbriata-White Veined Dutchman's Pipe-Tiny

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

It started blooming for me this morning..What a tiny bloom!!

Thumbnail by Moodene
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

oh so cool. Mine died this week for some reason with out growing very much.

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

mmm..mine is growing under a shade tree in a pot!! I am starting few more of these if ya want one...they grow like weeds here...

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Nice picture moodene,
I have several plants of A. fimbriata. I got them to attract pipevine butterflies to lay on them. 2 years and no takers.
Beautiful leaves and nice weird flowers until they start looking ugly. I just cut them back and they come back.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Hmmm put mine in full sun. With these 90 temps that's probably why.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

That is so neat looking-- I love the veins!

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

This is one of my Dutchmans Pipe blooms. They remind me of a calico skirt.
Moodene, those leaves are really pretty, I wish mine had those leaves with the large flowers. I like yours very much.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2004 11:58 PM

Thumbnail by busybee
Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Does anyone find butterflies actually coming to theirs? That's why I got mine but its not really grown enough to attract any. Anybody actually found caterpillars? Of course, it also has a tremendous "hey that's so cool" factor!

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

I know people get pipevine swallowtails on pipevine-various different kinds--in the west and the northeast. I have tried4 different kinds of aristolochia and never get any here in Covington. One year in Metairie I did have huge numbers of them on A. elegans, like Busybee's. That was the one and only time.
Here in Louisiana our pipevine caterpillars feed on sheep sorrel--rumex acetosella. Do a search on it. I want some in my yard but have not found any yet.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Try here Johanna http://www.sandmountainherbs.com/sorrel_sheep.html

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Donna,

Was that the Aristolochia fimbriata I sent you that died???? Oh so sad. I have replacements for you. I grow mine in part shade. The first one I had that I gave seeds to Nadine of was growing in afternoon sun but I had to warer it daily. Maybe you could use a couple just in case. Mine bloomed and dropped seeds already they broadcast themselves.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Yes Daisy I didn't see anywhere say part shade. It did well there until just recently. It was like over night and it was history and the Green Wizard too. I upped them to a 3 gal pot and then something ate them to the dirt darn it.

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Donna. Ordering is a whole lot easier than hunting and gathering!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.