Japanese Maple cuttings

Towson, MD

A neighbor has a Bloodgood type Japanese Maple but several branches are markedly different with much finer dissection, variable leaf size and greener color. I was interested in trying to propogate this variation and seeing what it grows into. Any advice about how and when to do this ?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Found this while doing a quick Google search....thanks for making me look. Now I'm gonna have to try my hand at starting a few of my favorite tree. (never produces seed)

http://www.brusselsbonsai.com/care/care_sheets/japanese_maple.shtml

Propagation:

Easy to do as a cutting or air-layering. For Cutting I like to take the cutting and push it into a small pot of moist soil and put a Zip-lock bag over it. leave it in indirect sunlight for 9 months and it will be well rooted. it does not need any additional watering while in the bag it is its own greenhouse inside the bag.

Towson, MD

Thanks for the info. Will let you know how it goes. Good luck with your tree.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Your welcome...and good luck with your tree as well. :-)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I'm going to get some Japanese Maple "seed" next year. I missed out this year - "forgot" and did the alzheimers moment too long. If I actually remember next year, remind ME to send you some. If they sprout as easily as these regular maples do, it should be a piece of cake.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I have three vareties of Japanese maples....two produce seeds and seedlings like carzy. But my split leaf burgandy JM makes these tiny whirly gig seed pods with no seeds in them :-(
Sterile plant, or not getting the proper pollination.
Excited to try starting some cuttings......never new one could do that with maples.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Mark just throw them outside in the ziplock?Or bring in the gh for the winter? Ernie

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Do you enclose the cutting with the ziploc bag or just place it over the top of the cutting?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.