Difference In Phal Sibs

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Last year on E-bay I bought a mini-compot of Phal seedlings just for fun. There were three seedlings in the pot.

Two of them bloomed this year, and I just thought it might be interesting to show how much sibling Phalaenopsis seedlings can differ.

"A" bloomed first and is a little more vigorous than "B".

Parentage is listed on the picture.

Thumbnail by IndaShade
Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

This one has a fun Peppermint candy look to it.

Thumbnail by IndaShade
DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Nice! Must have been a well established compot and good growing for blooms so soon. Seeing the range of flowers is one of the best things about growing a batch of compots or seeds. I've got a few compots of other slower genera so they are years away from flowers.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

I have a hybrid which my memory forbids me to remember the name (picture here: http://yucca.standardout.com/pics/Monocromatico_1058721848_897.jpg) that changed colors a lot. I have this for 5 years and it bloomed 4 times. Each time it blooms, the flowers get more red. Originally, it was only pale yellow with some red spots.

I guess that separate plants of the same parentage (even different cuttings from the same plant) may change colors during the life due to different growth conditions (even if you treat them equally, they are still in different places, getting different amounts of light, planted in different mediums, etc.).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.