Over fertilized soil

Brighton, CO(Zone 5a)

We just moved and I had some people help me with the flower bed at the new house. When they tilled the garden, they put in 5 bags of what they thought was compost. In a 4 by 25 foot flower bed. Well, after planting flowers 3 times and they died, I went and dug up the bags that they used. Turns out they put in 5 bags of lawn fertilizer!! So the soil is toxic. Last night we dug out all the soil a foot deep and replaced it with top soil. Not a bad thing anyway. The original soil was all sand and in the south west side of the house, it got very hot. I put a bag of spaghum moss under the top soil in the bed. Will I still have problems if the plant roots get down more than a foot? And should I work anything into the top soil?
Cathy

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

interesting to see the possible solutions

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I am surprised that you have not gotten responses. I guess everybody else was as shocked as I was. 5 bags of fertilizer in a flower bed?!? BTW, what kind of fertilizer was it? What were the NPK numbers? Did it have any weed control in it? Good luck.

- Brent

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Brent
The nitrogen which is the main ingredient in lawn fertilizer is mobile. That is it will wash away with rain, the phosforus and potash is another story. Luckily most lawn fertilizers contain very little of these elements. I would water the heck out of it for a month and then take a soil sample to your county extension office for a soil test to see where your at as far as the P and K.
Let me know how you make out.

Paul

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5a)

CATHY- WATER-WATER-WATER! i WOULD WAIT TO PLANT UNTIL FALL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.