Killer Vine

thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Have a vine climbing up my very tall pine tree. In fact, it is very dense at the top. I heard the other day that it could choke out the tree, so I cut it at the base. How do I get rid of this "sucker"?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

it sounds like our hated kudzu vine as i see you are in georgia as i am on the border of geaorgi south carolina too. the only way to get rid of it is by getting the roots. cutting it only seems to help it. burning it helps it too. do a search for kudzu and see if its the same thing you have as you have no picture.

but if it is the only way is the roots them selves and every time you see it pull it. if you dont get all the roots it will come back.

good luck with it.

thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

It may be the kudzu as I went to a demonstration where a lady took the vine and made beautiful baskets from it, but hers didn't have the leaves and berries mine seems to have. Someone else gave it another name, so I'll do more research. I just know that when I tried to pull the root it was next to impossible as there were so many tendricles attached!

Mesilla Park, NM

Maybe brushing some roundup on the leaves next time they come up, it is supposed to take the stuff down to the roots and kill it. I have not tried it on vines, but it works with the weeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.