New to Dave's AND gardening.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I just want to say "Hi" to everyone and introduce myself. I started my first garden this year in May. It's a funny thing, because I've never had much luck or interest in gardening before.

It all started back in April after I lost my Mom. I recieved a corn cane plant and a chinese evergreen from supporting friends. The gesture meant so much to me that I wanted to really try to care for these plants. Unfortunately, I found them listed among the plants toxic to my cats, so I ended up moving them to my shaded porch, where they still are thriving nicely. I liked the welcoming feel they added to my home so much that I wanted to extend that look and feel into the yard...and so it began.

My husband has a little more experience than I do, but niether of us are experts. We decided to start slow, by digging out and preparing a raised bed in front of the porch for a small planting area, and I'm enjoying it so much. It may sound strange, but I even love the smell of dirt. lol.

I'm so excited about this site. I'm so happy for the friendly, christian atmosphere. If I tend to ramble, please forgive me. I just needed a place to fit in again. I was very close to my mom.

Blessings,
Jennifer

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Welcome Jennifer! Whereabouts in the big state of Texas is Paris? It sounds familiar to me. I have family down there.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

It's about an hour and a half northeast of Dallas. It's not very big.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

ahhhhh - must have seen that on a road sign on a movie then, lol! my family is from southern Texas, south of San Antonio (and a few from Conroe, north of Houston).

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

You may have. There seems to be a Paris, everything, doesn't there? lol I also have relatives in the houston area. I am from a large family.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome from another Texan! I'm a new member myself, but I know you'll very quickly find what a wonderful family this is.

I too lost my mom last year, and have found that the Lord gives unexpected touches of love in our loss. I'm glad for the gifts that opened a new avenue of interest for you. May your comfort grow and blossom here and in your garden.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Welcome to Daves, Jdee. I know you will enjoy this place and find answers to any question you might have as a beginning gardener. I'm sure you and your husband will add a lot to the forums. I'm so sorry you lost your mother recently. I'm know Daves Garden can never replace her, but it might help ease the pain sometimes.

So, tell us what you are planting in your new flower bed and if you have a digital camera, we all love pictures. With all the forums here, I'm sure you will find many places that you can post pictures to help us get to know you better. Even if you don't have a camera.....we love to chat anyway. Have fun in the garden. Hope to see you around here a lot and very soon.

Shirley

Jdee, is Paris anyplace close to Rockdale? My BIL and SIL live there. Sure is hot down there. LOL!

This message was edited Jun 9, 2004 10:58 AM

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

jennifer - welcome from new york. enjoy

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Welcome from Kentucky. I haven't been here long but have already found tons of useful info. Enjoy yourself!
Vicki

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone. I'm very happy to be here.

Shirley,

My husband has a digital camera, but alas, niether of us knows how to use it. I guess we need to get it out and read up on it. What am I planting so far? My yard is very shady, so I thought I'd be limited in what I could plant, but I'm finding that I have lots of interesting options. I have Two Camilla shrubs on each side of the bed. I have a raised bed of double impatiens, surrounded by a lower bed of hostas. They're not very big yet, but I think they're quite pretty.

I have a hydrangea at the side of the house that was already here. I'm going to start taking better care of it, and maybe even add more. I also have a climbing rose bush that came with the house. We're planning to wait til the Fall, and move it to the back where it can climb the fence. There's a little more sun there, so maybe it will bloom longer.

Well, I don't mean to ramble on. Its just that I love to talk about it.

Jennifer

BTW, I've never heard of Rockdale. I'm not sure where it is.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome from another Texas...I am in Rowlett

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Welcome to Dave's jdee, you'll find answers to questions (what will take shade) support for down times and a place to share joys and triumphs. See ya round the forums.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Another Iowa welcome here. So glad you joined us and so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. It's hard to lose Moms. Mine has been gone now 3 1/2 years - can't believe it's been that long already. Hope you find answers and lots of friends here at DG.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Kooger and Luv2weed for the kind thoughts. It has been quite difficult, but I'm finding gardening to be a form of therapy. Does that make sence? I find sitting on my porch, among my plants relaxing.

Now, if I could just get hummingbirds to come to my feeder. It seems like everyone has them except me. (sniff) But that's for another forum, I must check out.

I have to take a moment to say that I really appreciate the way everyone has made me feel so welcome. Blessings to you all.
Jennifer

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

jdee, Welcome from the great state of PA. I am sorry for your loss. My Mom has been gone for almost 3 years. I hope you like it here at Daves as much as I do! Sandy

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Welcome jdee, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Welcome jdee, we are glad to have you with us. Let me extend my sympathy on the loss of your mom, and say that with time it does get easier. I'm glad you found gardening to be relaxing and enjoyable. There is such variety in the plant world that it will never get boring! Can you just emagine Adam in the Garden of Eden? Soon you will be growing things from seed, taking cuttings, maybe hybridizing your own unique varieties. You never know where gardening will lead. I know you will find friends here and those can be some of the best you will ever find.

Decatur, IN(Zone 6a)

Hello, I am also new to Dave's Garden....I love this site, it is just what I was looking for.....I love tropicals(palms , ferns & cycads?).....I also have perennial beds around my house, with a few annuals, and ferns.......but I am by no means an expert.....I still keep the little tags that are in the plants so I can remember their names(LOL)..along with my husband we raise and show dairy goats, and also have llamas and boer goats.....any way, I live in Northeastern Indiana, just south of Ft. Wayne - Decatur, IN.
look forward to learning alot. thanks,
Lynette Kirchner
(nicerfarm)

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Welcome Lynette! Make sure you check out the tropicals forum! If you've figured out how, start a new thread in this Welcome Mat forum so others can find you and say hello. Hope to get to know you around the forums!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Welcome Lynette! Friendly Gardeners in here, and TONS to learn! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.