sun/shade

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

my daughter and i are doing asmall pond in wooded area between our houses. arent counting on any fish but like some plants . How much sun will we need for water lilies? Pond will have open area on morning side. We are going have to check it out to see how much, because we are removing a few trees.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

My pond gets 6 hours of direct sun everyday, and my lilies seem to do fine. I only have a couple of hardy, no name varieties but I really like them. They have over-wintered in my basement for 3 years and are getting bigger each year. I also have water hyacinth which tries to take over the pond. I end up feeding it to my dogs (yes, really-they love it, but too much at once gives them sick tummies!) just to control it.

Elizabethton, TN(Zone 7a)

4 to 6 is what the experts say. Some need less sun to bloom - check out http://www.watergarden.com/pages/Pond-in-shade.html for plants that do better with less sun. Cheer up - you'll have fewer troubles from algae.

Bridgehampton, NY

In addition to the question of how much sun you need, there is the question of how much sun you have! If you are not sure, you might want to get an Android app called "Sun And Shade Analyzer". It will accurately compute the average hours of direct sunlight a plant will receive during any part of the year. The app is predictive: it knows the sun's daily and seasonal movements, and uses your device's camera to "see" all obstructions (trees, buildings, etc.) which would throw shade on your plant. It can even simulate foliage if necessary, to compensate for fallen leaves.

It's fun! Try it out!

A sun visor is a part of a car situated on the inside over the windshield (otherwise called the windscreen). They are planned with a pivoted fold that is customizable to assist with concealing the eyes of drivers and travelers from the glare of daylight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.