Look what I built in few hours

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00152.asp

Can't wait to find a pretty vine to cover it all up! I think I'll make a couple more.

Thumbnail by Osteole
Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Still need to wrap twine around the joints.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

And how much did you have to pay the rooster for the job of overseeing the project?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Very primitive. I love it. And I love your little red rooster. He really poses well. Heheh.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

He looks so plump and delicious! I mean cute! Is he friendly? And the trellis aint bad either.

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

LOL

He's looking for a new home! Overall he's friendly, but can be aggresive at moments! You'd think he was a hen!!

He's really quite the character. Serious about the new home. I'm tired of his all day mulch throwing parties. *rolls eyes*

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

Did I show you my Flying Saucer MG tower? It will be 8ft tall with a hortizonal spread of 3ft. The cage screws on the pot and to the upper supports. It has 9 plants in it. It should take off!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

9 count em!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

lol I counted 8

hehe

BUT I BELIEVE YOU!! :)

There's two in the right-hand corner.The part closest has three.

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

VERY VERY COOL. I have some fallen branches. I bet I could make a trellis out of them also...hmmmm....

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Nice job!
more impressed with your free-roaming chickies, and rooster.
I have had free-roaming chickens(no roosters, -no thanks!lol...)for several years now. In the last year, we've really had to watch for hawks and other malicious raptors. Have you had any problems with these?
We let them go into their cage at night and lock the door after dusk, but this year we've had to only let them out under supervision. I lost three of my favorites in just two weeks to a huge osprey that was probably attracted to our creek initially, but found the chickens...
I have a Saltan named "Sweetie" who is my all time favorite. She comes RUNNING when you call her name! She loves to be held and makes quite an attempt to talk to you! She has fallen asleep in my arms before, as I carried here around the garden. I've gone to set her down, and DONK! She goes beak first into the ground. Now THAT is relaxed!
Have yours got neat personalities? (other than the rooster, of course...I KNOW how THEY can be...)
Sorry to rattle on, but don't know many gardeners who take advantage of having chickens. I bought them after seeing a segment from Martha Stewart years ago, on the different colored eggs she gets and her custom hen house. It was furthered by a terrible grasshopper epidemic that year. I didn't have any idea that they had such neat personalities, until I actually had some.
Now I know why they say such things as "brooding like a hen", "Oh, just go lay an egg", "pecking order'', etc.
They sure have reduced our grubs, and bad bug population. Not to mention the fresh eggs and fertilizer(which I rarely ever see!) And, they make great pets(if you encourage that type of behavior that is...nothing like a wild, mean chicken...

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

OMG, I could never eat anything that falls asleep in one's arms! I had chicken on my grocery list, and I just marked through it. Thanks a lot, seedpicker!

What was the name of that movie with Billy Crystal and that little calf? Couldn't eat steaks or hamburger for at least a year after seeing that. And especially not......veal.

:( Pen

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Pen,
I'm sorry!
Not all chickens are sweet, like Sweetie. Think of the ones from the store as the "mean ones"!
I've had others(mostly male) so mean(to me, and to the other hens/roosters), that I'd just as soon eat them, than keep one more day! lol...
Truth is, I could never eat one I knew. Just the ones at the store. My hubby grew up on a farm on which they actually did eat the farm animals. He said rule #1 was never name an animal
Besides...Sweetie wouldn't taste that good...she's SPOILED!! he, he, he...
-Taylor

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

'sall right, seedpicker. I'm about half vegetarian anyway.

Now you're gonna have to send pix of Sweetie. I'd love to see her (and hold her). In our city we can't have chickens in the city limits. How do you get away with it in Plano? You must be out of the city limits?

Pen

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Pennzer
I think the calfs name was Norman on city slickers

Love your chickens Osteole

seedpicker ,
Love Sultans ,they are so calm compared to many of the crested breeds
I had one years ago that all she wanted to do is sit on your lap

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Ah, crestedchick, yes that was the movie, and you even remembered the calf's name, Norman. Wasn't he a cutie?

Thanks,
Pen

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Every time I see a baby cow I call it norman...
People look at me strange for some reason.....
Then I try to say what billy crystal would say
hellooooowwwww so it sounded like a mooooo

then they walk away from me.....giggle......

Augusta, WV(Zone 5b)

monterey
I like your tower for the vines, but keep in mind when you need to harvest seeds they will be trapped inside the wire mesh and you won't be able to get at them. I know this first hand, but I love the design if nothing else you want a pretty display, great job!
mmseeds

if you look at the tower closely it all unscrews, that's the idea.

Augusta, WV(Zone 5b)

monterey - good job!

Here is a new look. This is yesterday.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Augusta, WV(Zone 5b)

Absolutely gorgeous...very nice!

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

osteole and monterey,
LOVE your structures for the vines. Those vines will love them, too. Very creative works--give me some new ideas for harnessing some of my trumpet vine power.

Pen

Let your vines grow down . Most pepole grow them up . I let them hang, of course you need a container , but that too harnesses their growing power.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.