new to orchids- have a question

Wentworth, SD(Zone 4a)

I have never owned an orchid. I have seen them at Home depot and on the web and have been soooo wanting to buy some. I was hoping you could give me some pointers on which type is a good one for beginners. Thanks! Mick

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

phalaenopsis and most oncidiums are both fairly easy to grow.dont be intimedated,there easier that it may seem.
happy growing

GMick, I started with a phal as my first orchid. Knowing my tendency to leap overboard with the anchor in my arms, I vowed to not obtain another orchid until I had kept this one alive for a year.

The year passed this Valentines, I have grown a new leaf, lost an old leaf, and had this suspicious bump on the spike for at least 6 months. It's alive, if not blooming. I've even repotted twice without total annihilation. Have no basis to support this tidbit, except everyone swears by cinnamon when treating orchid roots with damage or dead spots. When repotting powder with cinnamon, and forge on.

I have recently been introduced to epidendrum specie varities, and managed to grow a seed pod (?) which I have no idea what to do with, as everyone says I need to rent a labratory to continue with it. I keep hovering around the Deep Discount tables at Lowes, but don't know enough about the orchids to make an educated purchase with their lame nametags, so I just hover to make my wings stonger.

All I can say, is jump right on in. There will always be super knowledgeable people to help with the myriad of questions.

HTH
Cena

Wentworth, SD(Zone 4a)

I might have to make a trip into town today and get one if they still have them at home depot. They were really reasonably priced. Much better than what I have found online in catalogs. Thanks for the help. Mick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.