Squash tonight

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Gonna 'que up some carne asada with these papaya pears and call it dinner. These are new to me. Quick producer though.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

papaya pears?

Is that the variety name? That's a new one on me...sure look good!

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

They were a summer squash AAS in 2003, touted to be ready for harvest in about 40 days from sowing. They pretty much live up to the claims. Been harvesting them here in Central Valley for about 6 or 7 weeks. Took this picture in our demontration garden on May 21.

Thumbnail by jcangemi
Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

These were picked that same day. Good stuffed as you would bell peppers or zucchini, if you're into that. :->

Thumbnail by jcangemi
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Shoe, one of our Home Depot stores is evidently the landscapers' center. They get plants at least 3x a week. Gotta go early in the am though. The get oddball plants from local growers and do not always know what they will receive. The hand-written tags are generally a dead give away that is is local. I try to grow at least one unknown to me veggie every year-just for fun.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Purty plant! Purty veggie!

Thanks for sharing!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

It is Good. Just finished dinner and every one liked it. Stood up well to being bbqed. It will not take the place of the beloved pattipan. Nothing would lol.

For folks with aquariums, the bottom feeders like it too. the yoyo loach and the golden algae eater are fighting over is right now. They do love their squash!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I have about 6 patti pan sitting in front of me now.

By the way...in your first post...what is carne asada?
(And how'd you bbq the squash?)

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Marinated spicy beef mexican style. We had pollo asada too (chicken.)

Slice em thick with some oil and vinegar and spices brushed on or marinate if there's time. Put em on a stick and bbq on the top rack of the bbq. I do them in foil too. Fiona is a big fan of flavored vinegars so we use them alot. Champagne pear vinegar is to die for. Pineapple vinegar and a little brown sugar make a nice crusty glaze on pork chops.

I have looked at the "woks" for the bbq but do not see the point. I have a perfectly good 18 lb cast iron wok in the kitchen. Ya don't mess with a cookin frog!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

But the wok rocks for asparagus!!! Ever tried to skewer that stuff???LOL!!

Its one of our favs with olive oil, lemon juice and a litlle Old Bay seasoning thrown on for the last few moments of cooking.

Shoe- carne asada is real thin steaks- like skirt- and I mean thin and they get a nice dose of red chile sauce, kind of like red enchilada sauce for a marinade. Melts in your mouth before it burns your tongue!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Lol I do not make carne asada that thin cause I like what my family calls moo meat. Rare. So I fudge a bit. Slice thin later.

Skewering asparagas. Hmmmmm. sounds like an engineering problem.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Goodness gracious...carne asada sounds good to me!

So does the bbq'd squash....I better figger out how to light a match so's I can get the grill going.

Much obliged!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

My family puts up with my rare thing with rare meat.

Can anyone say I need more IRON??

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Is that the excuse? Lol.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I garden at night a lot too..and I can't remember the last time I looked in the mirror!! ARGH!!!!!

Seriously, did you know that you can get Hatch red enchilada sauce at the 99Cent store from Hatch, New Mexico? It is awesome if you don't have homemade in the freezer (like lazy old me!)? Maybe we should send some to Shoe.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Shoot I was just there this AM. I will look for it. Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.