Mandivella Vine

Ladson, SC(Zone 8b)

Hi..I am wondering what I am going to do with this plant in the winter. I have never had this kind of success with this particular vine so I've never really worried about saving it through the winter. It's in a large container. It's growing like crazy and blooms are everywhere.

I am in zone 8b

Thumbnail by AKelley
Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

I would be interesting in find out as well! I didn't buy one because of price and not being hardy. But if I could overwinter one.....hehehehe I'd buy 10!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I overwinter them in my basement under light. I just cut them back to about a foot and a half and water when needed. It gets pretty cold down there, but so far they have come back in the spring with no trouble. I believe there is a thread here someplace about overwintering them and they just let them go dormant. If I can find it, I'll post a link here.

http://davesgarden.com/t/411506/mandevilla

This message was edited Jun 7, 2004 9:55 PM

Ladson, SC(Zone 8b)

Thanks guys. So, cut it back, and bring it in. How much do I cut it back, and would my sunroom be a good place to store it?

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Geesh, and no one suggested you send it down to me. It would love to spend the winter in Florida I bet! Hehehe

:^))))
Molly

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

The first time I overwintered them in my basement (zone 6b) I didn't cut them back. I watered them about once a month. The vines showed new growth along the stems but after planting in the yard the following spring, they didn't really grow until I cut the vines down to about 18 inches.

The following year I cut them down to 18 inches when I put them in the baseent (dark, no lights). They did better the next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.